Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    downrange Posts: 55, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2008, 10:36 AM
    Warped counter top
    I have been in the process of making a bathroom cabinet. The countertop is made from 2" oak and is 22" wide and 60" long. heres the problem. i started with 4 pieces of oak about 6" wide and alternated the growth rings and glued them together.. all was good until I cut out for the sink. Now the couther top is starting to cup.. How can I flatten this back out?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 10, 2008, 12:24 PM
    Sorry to say but there isn't much you can do at this point. The stresses in the grain have taken over. If the cupping is not too great you might be able to glue and screw the top to the cabinet and pull it back to flat. Wet the concave side of the wood and this will cause that side to swell slightly compared to the convex side.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Apr 10, 2008, 08:53 PM
    On the underside install 20" long 2x2" cross members of oak on each end and on either side of the sink hole. Attach these by screwing in the center and each end, however the end screw holes (in the cross piece) will have to be slots or elongated to allow for wood movement. When installing the cross pieces clamp each end to to the top to draw the counter top flat

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stuck on Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped [ 4 Answers ]

PLEASE HELP! On Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped (for ps2) I've got all the crystals, all the blue relics and 43/44 gems. The gem I have not got is on the level Sphinxinator (I think it's level 21) No matter where I go or what I do I just can't seem to get all the boxes, I end up with 101/105. I've...

Floor warped & moisture in crawl space [ 3 Answers ]

I'm building a new home and I covered floor with tarps but me 3/4" tung & groove plywood still got very wet. Its been getting wet for about four weeks now and is warping .Question how can I fix floor after roof is on? I also have a lot of moisture in my crawl space because water on...

Warped hemp [ 1 Answers ]

I make hemp bracelets, but the only problem is that any dye in the hemp comes out when they get repeatedly wet, and they also stretch and fall apart after so long. What can I do, other than take them off before every shower, to save them? Maybe I can waterproof them? Somehow?

Counter Offer [ 2 Answers ]

Is it possible to cancel a counter offer that has been accepted? If so how should I go about doing it?:confused:

View more questions Search