Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amy_paramio Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2006, 06:14 AM
    Apatment Rental Law in Los Angeles
    While renting an apartment, the owners sold the property. Can the new owners subject us to new rates right away? They also hired a billing provider whose service costs were added to our bill.

What's the legal thing to do? Thanks
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Feb 12, 2006, 06:46 AM
    You are still living in the premises under the terms of the written lease between you and the former landlord. If the new owners wants to change those terms then they have to send you the appropriate notices terminating the old lease and giving you the terms of the new lease. If I were in your position I would not pay any increased rates or billing costs. Speak to an attorney in your area to make sure of your rights. Most attorneys will offer a free consultation. You can also contact one of the agencies listed at http://www.dca.ca.gov/legal/landlordbook/appendix3.htm to get more information.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Apartment rental [ 1 Answers ]

Greetings. I live in an apartment complex in Volusia County, in Florida. I have never signed a lease where I reside, and I assume that this makes me month to month, and have lived here 9 months thus far. I have been complaining about a leak from my air conditioner and its poor functioning for quite...

Rental [ 2 Answers ]

I didn't realize that all we had to do to remove tenants at will was give them a 30 day no fault notice to quit with no reason. Instead I stated that my children will be moving in. Now I would have to have a good reason if I was taken to court why they didn't. What would be a sufficient reason...

Rental Fee [ 2 Answers ]

Once upon a time (last April 2005) I looked at an apartment and thought I really liked it. (It was a September rental and we were on top of things) So my roommates and I paid the fee to hold the apartment so nobody else could rent it for the time being. 2 days later after a little more research...

Rental Laws [ 25 Answers ]

What are the legal do's and don't of a landlord ? Can they enter your apt. anytime they want without your consent ?

View more questions Search