Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jesslyn8 Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2006, 12:53 AM
    Foreigners & 1099
    Hi I've some questions regarding my status & 1099 form.
    I'm not a US resident or citizen but just start a month ago working as self-employment with US firm outside US territory. Should they issue me with 1099 form or something else? And at the end of tax year, which form should I fill for my tax file regarding this income source?
    FYI I do have SSN (but not valid unless authorized by INS), which I received while I was studying in US, but I've been out of US since May 2004. Should I apply for any other identification number if they have to file 1099?
    Thanks.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 12, 2006, 09:53 AM
    Jesslyn8:

If you are neither a U.S. citizen nor a U.S. resident alien and the work is outside of the U.S. then you are not liable for U.S. income taxes, even if the firm is U.S.-based.

In which country are you located? That country's tax laws are what you need to be concerned about.

Feb 14, 2006, 11:18 PM
    Thanks for the reply. :)

I'm located in Indonesia, which means I will deal with Indonesian tax for this income.

Just curious, so when they file for 1099 for my payment, what are the effects that could happened for them and for my side?
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 15, 2006, 10:03 AM
    Jesslyn8:

It will have no effect on you. They may file the Form 1099 so they can deduct the income paid to you.

Feb 15, 2006, 08:44 PM
    Thanks Atlanta Tax Expert!
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 15, 2006, 09:31 PM
    Glad to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Please, please help. H1b and 1099 [ 1 Answers ]

I am a physician doing j1 waiver , on H1b visa. I am employed by a private group. The hospital pays 25000 dollar as a policy to new doctors over three years as signing bonus. In 2004 the hospital paid me 6000 dollar , but they sent me 1099 misc which I accepted and also showed on my tax refund. I...

1099-g [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I received a 1099-G regarding state tax refund I got 2005 and I know I have to include it as income in Form 1040. And I also received another 1099 form saying "Statement for Recipients of Interest Income", "Calendar Year", "Total Interest Paid or Credited-$36.67". My questions are, 1) I...

1099 c [ 1 Answers ]

I have a line of credit account that is now delinquent. Most recently the sent me a notice regarding a settlement. This is what the letter says: "Settle your past due account ONCE AND FOR ALL! Your current outstanding balance due on account number XXXX is $5,448.52. As of January 1, 2006, we will...

1099 and H1 [ 3 Answers ]

Thanks for your valuable help that you are giving to so many people. I need one help too. I am on H1. Can I work on 1099. Will this create any problems? Secondly. How may hours I can work on 1099 if I am allowed to? I am working 40/week on W2 with a consulting conpany on H1. I want to...

Foreigners: [ 8 Answers ]

What's your definition of a foreigner if you live in the United States? HANK :)

View more questions Search