Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    snoopyfan Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2006, 11:58 PM
    Breaker, switch, or chandelier?
    I replaced a chandelier (which was working properly - it was for cosmetic purposes) and everything worked fine until I was screwing in the last bulb. All the other lights were on and as I was twisting the last bulb, it blew. There was a pop, burning smell, and all the lights went out.

The breaker was tripped, so I turned the power off, removed the remnants of the bulb, replaced it and then reset the breaker. However, none of the lights came back on.

After doing some surfing, I am suspect that something could have blown in the dimmer switch that controlled the chandelier, but I have not replaced it yet.

Should that be the solution? I wouldn't think there would be a fuse in the chandelier (I looked but didn't see any)? The breaker hasn't tripped anymore so I don't think that is the problem, but I guess it is possible.

Thanks in advance for your help!
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Feb 12, 2006, 06:59 AM
    I really doubt there is a fuse in the fixture, I have installed more fixtures than I can count and never seen one come from the factory with one.

I believe the socket for last light bulb that was installed is shorted and needs to be checked. When you turned the lamp in, it is possible that the lamp socket was loose and got turned also, causing the wires inside connecting to the socket to get twisted and short out. I have had, thou rare, a bad light bulb that is shorted inside the bulb.

In any case, the short probably damaged the dimmer, which has small solid state components inside it, and cannot handle the high inrush current of a ground fault.

So replace the dimmer, but before energizing, the fixture needs to be checked, esp. that last socket and lamp that was installed.
    snoopyfan Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2006, 05:47 PM
    After checking the chandelier, I replaced the dimmer switch and everything seems to be working fine. Thanks for your help!
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Feb 13, 2006, 10:50 AM
    I do need to comment that even though the light fixture has been checked, a cause has not been found. I need to warn you that I believe the original cause of the short still exists, again either the wires got twisted at the lamp socket, or the lamp caused the short. I would hope you not feel comfortable until the cause is found.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Circuit Breaker Won't Switch To On [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I'd appreciate anyone's advice. Today, I realized that one of my condensing units isn't working properly. So I was turning the breakers to both the A/C downstair and upstair units on and off periodically during the day to figure out the problem. Nothing has been solved on that end, but...

Bathroom chandelier and Bedrooms [ 2 Answers ]

Hello I want to install a chandelier above a bathtub. What is the minimum height do I need above the bottom of the tub? Also can more than one bedroom be on 1 acr fault breaker. And is it better to have the receptacles and lights on separtate arc faults? Do smoke detectors need to be on...

Switch keeps popping breaker [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I was try to hook up an outside light to an existing connection for a friend. The original install consisted of using the circuit from the receptacle used for the refrigerator, to power the switch for a light in panty and outside. First off the switch is a duplex type, or a double switch...

Re-wiring chandelier [ 1 Answers ]

I am re-wiring an eight light chandelier that was wired in a series. I would like a formula to figure the maximum wattage for a given wire, or the wire size required to obtain a certain maximum wattage. Would the formula also work if the chandelier was not wired in series?

Limit Switch - Pressure Switch [ 0 Answers ]

Hello Folks, This weekend I've been playing with a heating system at my new apartment and I'm trying to figure out what the different componets do. I kind of followed the circuit but still have some missing links... 1-There are some terminals on the furnace's circuit board labeled LIMIT. The...

View more questions Search