Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cloud1414 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2008, 11:28 PM
    Multiple userinit.exe in task manager
    Hi,

This is my first post. Forgive me I made any mistake...

I've a new server (less than 2 months old) which is running win server 2003 with 2GB RAM. Today I noticed that the server seemed a bit slow so I went to task manager to check what process is running.. I notice that the CPU Usage is actually 100% and there are 4 userinit.exe running under processes. I tried to end them but it doesn't work.

I have done some research and it seemed like userinit.exe is a system program. But why is it taking so much CPU usage?

Help... :confused:

Thanks

Cloud
    biggsie Posts: 1,267, Reputation: 125
    Ultra Member

Apr 10, 2008, 12:33 AM
    USERINIT.EXE is part of Windows XP. --- Not sure about win server 2003

Under normal circumstances, this program will run for a few seconds

After you log in, and then it should disappear from the task manager.
    cloud1414 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2008, 02:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by biggsie
    USERINIT.EXE is part of Windows XP. --- Not sure about win server 2003

Under normal circumstances, this program will run for a few seconds

after you log in, and then it should disappear from the task manager.
    But these 4 process has been running the whole day since morning...
    saadmohibullah Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2009, 01:03 AM
    I have also this kind of problem
    My task manager fill of Multiple userinit.exe , start menu and desktop is hidden only task manager is working.
    InfoJunkie4Life Posts: 1,409, Reputation: 81
    Ultra Member

Dec 8, 2009, 10:21 PM

Usually you can pop in the install disk and run a repair and that solves it. Most cases, it is some sort of spyware and is more annoying than troublesome. I suggest you do a repair to preserve your current environment. After that do a couple of spyware scans and you should solve the problem.

I suggest malewarebytes for one.

If you can't get your hands on a cd to do a repair try this.

Download userinit.exe

userinit.exe - File Shared from Box.net - Free Online File Storage

Boot into safe mode, and do an advanced search, the entire drive (System Folders Included) for userinit.exe. Delete any files that have that exact name that are not in C:\Windows\system32.

Copy your downloaded version into C:\Windows\system32 and allow it to overwrite.

Reboot

That is basically what a repair does, it just rewrites all the system files from the disk.

Good Luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Task manager [ 9 Answers ]

Can some one provide me with a link to what programs that are running it my task manager. I seem to have allot running and I would like to end the prosses on some but I heard it can do some damage to your computer if I end the wrong ones. I hope you understand what I am talking about.

Task manager [ 5 Answers ]

Hi all of you , I have a problem with task manager which I can't open it,I receive a messege"task manager has been disabled by your administrator"

Task Manager [ 4 Answers ]

Sir, I can not open my task manager. What I do? Please help me

Task Manager [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I've been having some problems ending processes in task manager. After choosing to end a process and answering 'yes' to the warning, the process does not end. As such I am also unable to uninstall the program as the process is running in the background. I have run virus scans and spyware...

Task Manager Help please [ 2 Answers ]

Whenever I want to open task manager it says "task manager has been disabled by your administrator" can someone please tell me how to enable it? Thanks in advance :)

View more questions Search