Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    frozenXistence Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2006, 09:59 PM
    Help with my daschund
    THis is my first dog and I've done everything that my moms told me to do with house training he goes pee outside then he comes inside and 10 minutes later I find a puddle, I'm starting to get fed up with cleaning it up all the time. What should I do? Oh and another thing HE TARES EVERYTHING UP!! Please help me :(
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Feb 12, 2006, 08:27 AM
    Hi, frozen,
    Thank you for posting a question here, and Welcome to the site.
    You are up against something that takes patience, persistence, and consistency with a dog! Do you have dog toys for him to play with? Biting dog toys, playing with them, is much, much better that eating up the furniture.
    Here are some links, with suggestions on what to do:

http://www.extension.umn.edu/info-u/pets/BB489.html

http://www.hilltopanimalhospital.com/housebreak2.htm
    Look under "Steps in Housebreaking Puppies"

I do wish you the very best. Having a dog is wonderful, loving, and can be greatly rewarding; when the dog knows what you expect of him.

Feb 12, 2006, 09:47 AM
    My dog has so many toys that I'm tripping over them, he's even taken the cat toys as his own and still decides to rip up the carpet. He plays with his toys for like a day then decides hey the carpet looks good. He doesn't chew furniture thank god just the carpet and I can't take the carpet up because were only renting the house.
    lilfyre Posts: 508, Reputation: 98

Feb 12, 2006, 09:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by frozenXistence
    my dog has so many toys that im tripping over them, hes even taken the cat toys as his own and still decides to rip up the carpet. He plays with his toys for like a day then decides hey the carpet looks good. He doesnt chew furniture thank god just the carpet and i can't take the carpet up because were only renting the house.
    Does he tear at the carpet when he is home alone or when you are there?

Feb 12, 2006, 10:41 AM
    He tares at it when I'm home when I'm not home he just sleeps or whines at the door till I get home apparently.
    lilfyre Posts: 508, Reputation: 98

Feb 12, 2006, 12:05 PM
    Okay, dog is not my greatest area but I will try my best to help you out.

As for the tearing of things when you are not home, this can be solved simply by crate training him. The right size cage is one in which your pet can lie down, turn around, and have three to four inches of extra head space when sitting or standing.

With the puppy contained in the right size cage he should learn to hold his urine longer that he has been. For more information pertaining to crates please read Benefits of Wire Cages or Plastic Crates.This should answer most of the questions that come up.

Now as for peeing in the home after he has just went outside, as he is little, and I have a dog that I adopted from a shelter that was an outside dog, and had never been indoors, I can tell you what I did the correct my problem.

Our dog Miss Piggy would so the same exact thing. If I see her do it and only if I see it, I would in a firm voice say NO, which most of the time stopped her immediately. I would then take her out and praise her greatly when she went outside. I also kept her on a leash by my side in the house, this way I knew exactly what she was up to.
    With chewing on thing it was the same thing each time she chewed up something that was not hers, and I seen her do it, I said NO and pointed. I then would tell her to get a toy, at first I would have to get the toy for her. She did eventually learn toy and ball and bear bear, it will take time but you must be persistent, please read the following, Basic Training Rules
    and Puppy House Breaking I do hope that I have been in some way helpful to you. (O:Please keep in mind never scold or beat your dog for things you find you must see them do it, and you must never beat them for it, and always use the same commands.
    princess420 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2006, 10:40 PM
    Frozen, I have a mini dauschund and I've had her since she was born. I had and still have the same problem only it's not so bad anymore. I found that putting newspaper down in the bathroom on the floor seemed to work pretty good until she got older. Also don't get discouraged I've been told that dauschunds are one of the hardest dogs to potty train. I hope this will help. As for the whining and tearing things up I think maybe you should give him/her some toys and play with them until he/she realizes that those are for him/her. The whining problem you're having probably won't go away. Mine has been doing that since I brought her home. I think it's because they get so attached to us they really don't know whether we're ever coming back.
    VLynn123 Posts: 35, Reputation: 5

Feb 18, 2006, 06:26 AM
    I also have a daschund, I've had her since she was 8 weeks old. She is now a year and a half. She is beginning to learn where to go potty. On occasion she'll find a place in the house if no one brings her out her normal time. I try to keep everything consistent with taking her out. My dog loves playing with toys or chewing on bones, my dog can chew on bones for hours.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Daschund [ 4 Answers ]

I have a five month old Daschund. Can you please tell me at what age will he be considered full grown??

Daschund,daschund,daschund [ 1 Answers ]

Why is it that I am seeing daschund questions so frequently? Has anyone else noticed that?

My daschund [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Daschund that is about 2 and a half years old. She was a stray that dropped into our laps when she was less then a year old, she still had a puppy tooth or two. Anyway, I have noticed that she seems to go through cycles of itching on her back. She does not have fleas. IF I let her she...

I'm 12 getting a Daschund, hopefully... [ 7 Answers ]

I'm 12 (almost 13) and my Nickname (I will NOT tell my real name, first or last) is Kanari. I'm allowed to get a puppy for my birthday (Apr.2) but it has to be a golden retriever. We have a golden retriever already, and they are cute and beautiful and stuff (And we've had another golden retriever...

New Daschund [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there, We just got a new little mini daschund, a male. WE have had him about 10 days and he just turned 8 weeks. We are doing OK with the pottie training but are having difficulty with the crate. Our breeder suggested paper and out side training and we were doing both.. Taking him out...

View more questions Search