Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    anticuchos Posts: 36, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2006, 08:20 PM
    Charcoal and BBQ
    Anyone here BBQ? I want to get one of those cheap BBQ supported on a tripod. But first, I got some questions:

1. Do I just pour the bag of charcoal and toss in a match? Or do I have to add something else too?

2. Do I use the charcoal until everything burns to powder? Or do I have to change it when the charcoal becomes <something>?
    lilfyre Posts: 508, Reputation: 98

Feb 11, 2006, 08:35 PM
    Charcoal is the best go for it, all you have to do it is put charcoal lighter fuild on it let it soak for a minute, throw in a match and you good to go, once it burns out you dump it. The more Charcoal you use the hotter it will cook, if you are not use to them it take you a few times use a little at a time. It takes a while to get use to but the flavor is much better. We have an aussie gas grill, I was prying for the day it went so I could go pick up a cheap Charcoal grill, (O:
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 11, 2006, 08:35 PM
    Ok, pour charcoal in, if it is self lighting you can even just toss one of the small bags in and light the bag.

If you pour it in, leave it in a pile and get it burning, after all the bricks are lite, spread it out.

If it is not self lighting, add charcoal lighter, if it flares up high enough to burn your eye lashes that is just about right.

Some add seasoned wood chips, other damped wood chips and so on.

Once light, the charcoal will burn completely to powder. Merely add more bricks on top of the old powder next time you start if you want.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Feb 12, 2006, 08:34 AM
    HI,
    As already said, you can buy the charcoal that already has "lighter" in it. Just put a match to it, wait just a little, and it start to slowly flame up by itself. Takes about 15 min. or so to form ashes all over it, meaning it's ready to go.
    I always put a layer of aluminum foil down over the grill itself, then lay the charcoal over the foil. The foil reflects heat much better, and doesn't require using as much charcoal.
    During cooking, take a stick or something, and gently tap the top of the charcoal, letting the ashes fall off it. The ashes act as "insulation", stopping some of the heat from going upwards.
    I clean out the grill after cooking, when the ashes cool down. Then, the foil can do its things again, reflecting heat upward, when wanting to cook the next time. Best of luck, and good bbq' ing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search