Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    anticuchos Posts: 36, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2006, 08:12 PM
    Recycling numbers and safety
    1. Some recyclable products have a number within the recycle sign. What does those numbers mean? I think they go up to 6 or 7.

2. Also, which one of these are safe for storing food and not leech any of the plastics' chemical into the food or water?

3. Another thing, which ones are safe for the microwave?

The vast majority of the plastic/recyclable products don't bother labeling what they are or can(not) do. They just slap a number on it.
    lilfyre Posts: 508, Reputation: 98

Feb 11, 2006, 08:42 PM
    I hate to post just a link but this link Resin Identification Codes - Plastic Recycling Codes should just about answer all of you questions. (O:
    cjcollier Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 15, 2007, 07:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by anticuchos
    1. Some recyclable products have a number within the recycle sign. What does those numbers mean? I think they go up to 6 or 7.

2. Also, which one of these are safe for storing food and not leech any of the plastics' chemical into the food or water?

3. Another thing, which ones are safe for the microwave?

The vast majority of the plastic/recyclable products don't bother labeling what they are or can(not) do. They just slap a number on it.
    The numeric codes that you see on many plastic items are used to help sort post-consumer plastics for recycling purposes. Different types of plastics are sometimes referred to as “resins” and the numeric symbols are known as “Resin ID Codes.” Each number (1 through 6) signifies a specific type of plastic and usually appears inside a small triangle (often formed by three adjoining arrows) imprinted on the bottom of a plastic item. The number “7” is used to represent a group of other plastics or combinations of plastics. Resin ID codes are not intended to provide guidance on the safe or appropriate use of any plastic item and should not be used for this purpose.
    kimnorth Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2011, 06:49 AM
    Use only number 2-4-5 throw all others away.
    As for using them for reheating food I would not do that.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 25, 2011, 04:16 PM

Kim, always check the date stamp, this post was in 2006. http://healthychild.org/5steps/5_steps_5/

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Missing Safety Box [ 4 Answers ]

Is it possible for a bank to lose a safety box? Yesterday I received a phone call from the bank that there was something wrong with my box and once I went to the bank they first told me they had no record of my box. Then they come back and tell me that they had to drill into my box but the box was...

Safety box [ 5 Answers ]

Does anyone knows about safety box? I said safety box in bank can not 100% safe. Someone can steal or rob it. My friend said that is impossible. Who is right ?

Recycling lost well water [ 2 Answers ]

I am on a well and I have a leaky shower. I am saving the water in a container but want to recycle it somewhere else. Can I pour this water into the back of my toilets and use it that way or will that do any damage? If this is an option, should I keep my toilets turned on or off?

Safety when plugging in hardware [ 1 Answers ]

I have read it is wise to turn the computer off before plugging in a mouse or keyboard. Does the same rule apply to plugging a digital camera into a USB port?

View more questions Search