Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cna3009 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2006, 08:03 PM
    Returned check
    In New York State what is the legal procedure to collect on a bad check? I was told you need to send a registered letter to give time to pay on check, and what if the person who gave the check never receives any notice ? What rights do they have?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 11, 2006, 08:41 PM
    You need to send your notice to the address listed on the check or a newer address if known. If the letter is sent off to the address on the check, and it is returned that they have moved with no forwarding address, or if it is merely returned refused ( they are there but won't sign) that is still considered notifying them, since you have made the effort to notify them.

After they don't pay, you will need to file in court for criminal charges,
    You may go to the court and ask them for the local procedures, forms they will need and so on.

If it is for some items such as car repair or home repair, you may have additional rights to a lien on property

Your attempt to have them pay, will show that you have given them the chance to take care of this if it was merely an error or mistake.
    There are a lot of bad checks just by accident, automatic redraws and the such which will be made good the next payday. They ones that were bad on purpose normally won't pay no matter what you do.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bandwidth check. [ 12 Answers ]

Since dropping my bandwidth from 2G to 1G the drop in download speed has dropped more than I think it should! - At 2G I was downloading video at average 130 kb/s - Since I've dropped to 1G the download for normal program files is now about 16 kb/s and I was getting better than this on my old...

6-9 Month Check [ 2 Answers ]

I have a son (my one and only child) he is coming up to nine months and I believe that children at this age have a check. He had one at 8 weeks and I take him to a baby clinic (at my doctors surgery) every 3 weeks or so to be weighed but as I never have any concerns to discuss he's weighed and I...

Check this out here [ 2 Answers ]

http://www.msftlabrat.com/funstuff/jingle.wmv

View more questions Search