Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    plonak Posts: 742, Reputation: 117

Apr 9, 2008, 10:33 AM
    Lexapro Side Effects
    I've been taking Lexapro for a month now (10 MG) and just recently have been feeling this ferocious hunger.

I would eat a big meal and when I would normally be full, I still feel the hunger. It's really frustrating and it's hard to tell when my body really needs the food or when it's just the medication.

Has anyone had the same problem? If so, does this go away?
    Dreamer Posts: 76, Reputation: 13

Apr 15, 2008, 03:43 PM
    Hi plonak,

Unfortunately, as with most every anti-depressant medication, Lexapro will definitely increase appetite. The cause is the change in levels of hormones and is the primary reason many people gain a few extra pounds while taking an anti-depressant drug. Not everyone will experience this side effect but many do. Sometimes this side effect may be an indication that perhaps this isn't the right medication for you personally. As for your question regarding will the hunger go away, unfortunately that varies from person to person. I have personally known people on Lexapro and this unwanted effect did "calm down" after a while on the drug but for some it did not. I highly recommend keeping a food journal to track what, how much and when you're eating so that you're able to keep a check on everything, to avoid overeating when you're not truly hungry. This can be a tricky side effect to manage but it can be done! If it really bothers you, I'd definitely advise you to contact your doctor and speak with him/her about other options. I hope this advice helps you and I hope that things go well for you on this medication.

Sincerely,

Dreamer

May 28, 2008, 02:09 PM
    Hey guys I'm updating on this... I've been taking the medication for a couple months and at first I noticed a huge appitite but lately I've been having no real desire to eat.. It could be emotional, but I also think the pills are causing be to have no appitite.. weird to have two side effects that are polar opposite.. anyone else with these problems?
    KalFour Posts: 332, Reputation: 46

Sep 9, 2008, 11:47 PM
    Plonak,

I've been taking it for about a month, and I've found that I really have very little desire to eat. I eat at mealtimes out of habit, but I don't often feel hungry.

It's interesting, but I've heard it can either suppress or increase appetites. I didn't think it would do both to one person though. :P

I've been going through phases of rapid blinking and forgetting to blink. Have you had anyhting similar?

Hope it's improving for you, it's meant to settle after you've been taking it for a while.

- Kal

Sep 10, 2008, 09:26 AM
    Hi Kalfour,

It's been another 4 months on the medication and the hunger problem has subsided somewhat.. I still have less of a desire to eat but it's not horrible..

Im not having any other side effects like the blinking thing.. I guess I'm fortunate.. I have been forgetting to take it the past couple days because I have been very busy and I get quick sharp headaches from the withdrawals.. but other than that nothing else has occurred..

Sorry about the blinking, but I think your right, after it settles in your body those things will probably subside.

Good luck
    KalFour Posts: 332, Reputation: 46

Sep 23, 2008, 05:10 AM

Thanks. You too.
    :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Side effects [ 4 Answers ]

Please can you tell me what side effects I will have to expect on superfact

Will I Get Side Effects? [ 10 Answers ]

Hello, I was taking this medication called Lexapro. Well, I stopped cold turkey. What I want to know is if I will have/get side effects.

Side effects [ 1 Answers ]

Side Effects Of Finasteride In Women

View more questions Search