Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1C79 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2008, 08:50 AM
    Regarding moving expenses deduction
    Hi:
    I am filing tax returns as "Married Filing Jointly" - 1040.
    I got married in Feb 2007.
    I was working remotely from India for my client for the months of February and March 2007.
    And my wife came from India to US in June 2007 on H4 dependent visa.
    I was wondering if my trip to India (which was a business trip, since I was working in India for my client)
    And
    My wife's trip to US (since she moved to US because of my work)
    Can be together claimed as a "Moving expense deduction".
    My tax consultant has claimed them as "Moving expense deduction", and I just wanted to make sure if it is Ok to do so..

Thanks in advance...
    -1C
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Apr 9, 2008, 09:16 AM
    For Moving expenses, you must meet two test:
    Distance Test and Time Test.

Read: Your U.S. Tax Return: Moving Expenses
    1C79 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2008, 09:34 AM
    Thanks MukatA for your response... Actually, I had read through the details for moving expense deduction on IRS website... but not able to make up my mind regarding it..

My tax consultant said that it is Ok to claim moving expense deduction in my case... but, reading through the details on IRS website I was not sure if it was Ok or not...
    Is it OK to claim moving expenses that spouse has incurred due to my job? Appreciate your suggestions
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Apr 9, 2008, 07:59 PM
    If you moved to start a new job and you are married and your spouse moved after a few months, yes you can claim your spouse's moving expenses.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Travel expenses deduction F1 to H1B [ 4 Answers ]

I was doing my OPT during 2005, until June 30 when my F1 visa expired. The employer sponsored me and I had to go back home in July to get my H1B and returned to the US on October 1st, to start working again. Can I deduct the airfare for going back home and get my visa? Can I deduct some visa fees...

H1B visa expenses and tax deduction [ 3 Answers ]

I am staying in US for over 5 years. Hi I worked for a start up company in 2007 on H1B. I had to pay the lawyer fee for the H1B processing and the same got repeated for the University that I am working for later on during the year. I also went to India for H1B stamping. The question is:...

Relocation expenses deduction [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I moved from MA to CA for a new job in 2006. I was on H1 whole of 2006 and will be filing as a resident. My employer gave me 3000$ as relocation assistance, which is not shown on my W2. However on my salary slip it says I was given $5000 and after tax, I guess, it became $3000. Can I claim...

Legal expenses as business deduction [ 1 Answers ]

I had a rental property business 10 years ago structured as a limited partnership which was dissolved 7 years ago. I am now being sued personally for alleged medical problems due to lead paint poisoning from a prior tenant. How can I now claim a business-related deduction for these legal...

Job Expenses deduction for Non Resident Alien [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am on a 6 month assignment to US and am filing my taxes as Non resident alien for 2007wanted to know whether I can claim deductions on the rent/utilities/conveyance/food expenses I incurreed while I was in US. Is Form 2106 applicable to me or only for people travelling inside US on work?...

View more questions Search