Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Apr 9, 2008, 06:08 AM
    Backpacks for two-week European trip?
    I'm going to Europe in mid may for about 2 weeks and I've been looking for a decent backpack. I've heard from some people to go for a 60-L internal backpack, and I've also heard from other people that I shouldn't buy a backpack as that pretty much puts the tourist label on me. Suggestions?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Apr 9, 2008, 06:19 AM
    In 1986 I backpacked through Europe with a Eurail pass. They are so used to tourists with backpacks that it isn't a worry. I travelled for 2 months in Europe and tended pub in London for 2 months. One of the best experiences of my life. I would recommend not putting an american flag on your backpack as the sentiment towards americans is not the best.
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Apr 9, 2008, 06:34 AM
    Nah you won't look like a tourist, just a student. It is pretty common here for people to backpack around. I've done it a few times myself. If you are strong go for a 75 litre just for the extra space, I think 60l are a bit small esecially for 2 weeks. But then again I'm a girl so probably need more stuff!

If you want to look like a tourist wear a bumbag and have a camera permanently hung around your neck. And then ask policemen in London where the Edinburgh castle is. (True story)

There is not that much anti american sentiment but if you want to avoid it pretend you are canadian.

Where abouts are you heading?
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Apr 9, 2008, 07:50 AM
    Well, technically, I'm asian... so I guess that's one "advantage"

I'm heading to:

London
    Brussels
    Berlin
    Amsterdam
    Prague
    Barcelona
    Madrid
    Uber Member

Apr 9, 2008, 07:52 AM
    Ah, you're heading more north than I did (Italy, Greece, south of France, Switzerland). Planning the trip is half the fun. Have a great time!
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 9, 2008, 07:56 AM
    Been to Berlin and Amsterdam. I don't have advice on the backpack, I love my suitcase!
    I do have advice on the American thing. As a European I do have to say the there is a bit of prejudice with respect to Americans in Europe (not me personally, I love all you guys!), they love Canadians though, so if you want to see your luggage once you get to Europe, put a Canadian flag sticker on your backpack, I kid you not!

Have fun while you are there Sneezy, I must say you have a pretty heavy schedule for a
    2 week trip, but you're still young. :)
    HistorianChick Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 825
    Ultra Member

Apr 9, 2008, 10:23 AM
    I traveled all around China and Mongolia with my North Face backpack. Wouldn't recommend traveling without it - easy to carry, expandable for all the goodies you'll buy, and convenient.

All my friends overseas swear by their North Face's. :)

This one is my pride and joy The North Face - Gear - Packs -> Expedition & Technical -> Expedition / Catalyst 60

Have fun, Sneezy!
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Apr 9, 2008, 06:41 PM
    First let me say I'm jealous! Second, have you seen this site?

http://www.guideforeurope.com/

It looks like there is a ton of information, and even a section on how to pick out the best backpack for your trip.

Good luck and happy travels! :)
    studenttrip Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 15, 2011, 03:01 AM
    You can browse Student Trips to Europe to know more about the European tours & itineraries.
    Uber Member

Sep 15, 2011, 04:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by studenttrip View Post
    You can browse Student Trips to Europe to know more about the European tours & itineraries.
    Well he posted this in 2008 so I think he's already done his trip. Be careful about posting your link everywhere - it's starting to look like spam and may be deleted. Plus there is no additional information at all, just sales information.
    Perhaps you can answer *some* questions without referring to your site?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Week to week rental law [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have been renting a room in the house of a man who is not legally allowed to rent rooms. He has been verbally abusive and sometimes has threatned me with physical abuse.. he threatens to kick me out all the time. I pay bi-weekly and have never been late on my rent.. Because he the...

Car trip for 9 week puppy [ 3 Answers ]

My husband is taking my 9wk mixed breed terrier on a 4 hour car ride on Friday. We have taken him on small trips in the car since getting him two weeks ago and he does fine. My husband plans to leave with him for the trip after work on Friday which is typically when the puppy eats. I don't want...

View more questions Search