Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    onetimeuser Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2008, 05:42 AM
    Can't send email from hotel wireless
    I have a Dell laptop (6 months old). When I attempt connection in my hotel room, I am able to get to the internet, and I am able to receive emails, however, I can not SEND emails. Get Outlook error 0x800CCC80-None of the authentication methods supported by this client are supported by your server. Have tried: setting encrypted connection to AUTO; Was only able to log in to Comcast by changing security setting to SSL 3.0 and TLS 1.0. Never able to use Outlook. Hopefully someone has a solution for this. Very annoying!
    Sitwonade Posts: 24, Reputation: 3

Apr 9, 2008, 05:53 AM
    The problem is likely with your email provider. In order to help reduce spam, some email servers are configured to block users who are coming from unknown connections. This would typically only affect the outgoing mail which explains why you can download mail but not send it. You should call your email provider and ask them for alternatives.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Apr 9, 2008, 06:01 AM
    That is by design. Emails are authenticated as they are sent by your provider. An ISP will not accept to send emails that come in from another connection. Usually ISPs and companies have a web page option to retrieve email (may also be known as their "webmail" option).
    Bellster Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Apr 9, 2008, 09:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by onetimeuser
    I have a Dell laptop (6 months old). When I attempt connection in my hotel room, I am able to get to the internet, and I am able to receive emails, however, I can not SEND emails. Get Outlook error 0x800CCC80-None of the authentication methods supported by this client are supported by your server. Have tried: setting encrypted connection to AUTO; Was only able to log in to Comcast by changing security setting to SSL 3.0 and TLS 1.0. Never able to use Outlook. Hopefully someone has a solution for this. Very annoying!
    You can blame spammers for this, administrators would be crazy to allow forwarding of email from other mail servers. That's how spam propagates. If you use an ISP or company email that authenticates your email address when sending that would work. Also see if they are using another port other than port 25.
    Web mail will help you or if this is not for work than while away use hotmail.com etc.
    A good IT company should be able to resolve your issues.
    Good luck
    biggsie Posts: 1,267, Reputation: 125
    Ultra Member

Apr 9, 2008, 09:44 PM
    How do you resolve error code 0X800CCC80?

Are you using Norton Internet Security? Disable all email scanning features.

Outlook Tips: Welcome to Outlook Daily Tips ----- HowTo-Outlook

Please rate my answer
    Carol1661 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 15, 2008, 07:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by onetimeuser
    Cannot send email form outlook express from wireless at the hotel how can i get this to work
    Carol1661 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 15, 2008, 09:08 AM
    How can I get to send email form hotel wireless
    noufalkan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2009, 01:09 AM
    The reason is ISP. The ISP normally blocks sending mail to reduce spam. Sometimes you can not send mail If you are travelling and trying to send mail from other country than your office is. The solution is available through a world wide SMTP server configuration. Click on below link.
    http://www.smtp2go.com/?s=noufalkan
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Jul 23, 2009, 03:40 PM

Use Webmail for your provider. Do not try to use your own email client connection unless you are connected to the Internet with your own ISP's connection. If you are not connected to the Internet with your own provider, your email will be blocked.

Use Web mail instead. This is what it is for.
    megamanhood Posts: 32, Reputation: 2

Jul 30, 2009, 09:14 AM

The hotel firewall may have been blocking the smtp port (for sending email).

Use your provider's web mail access or try Web2Mail
    kef347 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2010, 08:42 PM
    You need to authenticate outgoing server smtp - just choose "requires authentication" or uncheck this option and you will be able to send
    RobbieTu Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2013, 09:58 AM
    Most of the advice here works in some circumstances. Trouble is, your degree of success is going to depend on how you are connected at the moment, how they set up their servers, who your mail host is, how they set up their servers. Ya, webmail works, but if you're like me and have more than one address, that can be a pain.

I travel a lot, and have this problem in hotel rooms but also at a lot of other places, too. Client sites are particularly difficult: they almost always have security rules that prevent me from doing my work.

What I needed was something I could set up and that would work in any hotel room and behind any firewall.

I found Loapost. I've been using them for quite a while, and I love it. It's cheap (99 cents a month for me), so I just set it up and let it run. Not once have I had to re-configure it, no matter where my laptop sits. This is WAY better than webmail, or than fiddling with ports and authentications every time I move.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can't send email [ 1 Answers ]

I can receive emails, but can't send them. I have re-configured my settings, but to no avail.

Outlook won't send email [ 3 Answers ]

Outlook 2003 (with Symantecs antivirus) - 3 mail servers were working fine, until last week. Now occasionally an email will not leave the outbox. There is no sending/receiving error message. I changed outgoing sending account trying all 3. None work. I checked outgoing email address - No...

Outlook won't send email [ 0 Answers ]

View more questions Search