Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Diana Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2003, 09:11 PM
    Player Positions
    I would like to know where I can go on the internet to get an explanation of what each position on the team is supposed to do and the names of each of the position. Sorry, but when I am watching a game, I would like to know what each particular player does.
    jjza Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2004, 03:14 PM
    Re: Player Positions
    Here is a summary and general description of each position and their duties.

Backfield-
    Quarterback (QB) - Leader of the offense, hikes the ball from the Center and either hands it off or throws a pass.
    Halfback (HB) - Lines up behind the Quarterback. Receives a handoff from the QB and runs with it. Usually quick players with the ability to break tackles. Can also receive passes. If they do not leave the backfield on a pass play, they are used as additional blockers.
    Fullback (FB) - Lines up between the QB and HB (not in on all plays) Depending on the team, used for either blocking for the HB on run plays or as an additional blocker on pass plays or receiving passes from the QB. Usually large strong players that can move quickly.

Offensive Line-
    Center - Hikes the ball to the quarter back. Blocks for both running and pass plays. Always large players.
    Guard - 1 on each side of the center (Left Guard and Right Guard) Blockers for both run and pass plays. Again, large players.
    Offensive Tackle - Line up on the outside of the Guards. The Tackle that defends the QB's backside (Left Tackle for right handed QB's and Right Tackle for lefty QB's) are generally viewed as the most important offensive linemen.
    Tight End - (TE) Optional player(s) can Line up on the outside of the tackles. Can be one, two,or none depending on the play. Large players who can block effectively and also receive passes.

Wide Receiver - (WR) 0-5 depending on the play. Very fast and agile players. Catch passes from the QB. Also do some blocking on run plays, but primarily pass receivers.

DEFENSE ---------------

Defensive line -
    Defensive Tackle - (DT) Inside defensive line. VERY large players used to prevent run plays by clogging up the holes. Also chase QB for sacks during pass plays.
    Defensive End - (DE) Faster defensive linemen. Prevent runs and get sacks. Usually faster and more mobile than DT.

Linebackers -
    Middle Linebacker - Stops runs up the middle and may blitz the QB. Quick, strong players. Generally leads the team in tackles.
    Outside Linebackers - Same as middle linebackers but somewhat more quick.

Secondary -
    Cornerback - Defends against Wide Receivers. Usually fast and agile. It is often said that Cornerbacks would be Wide Receivers if they could catch.
    Free safety - Quick agile players. Not as quick as cornerbacks.
    Strong Safety - Mix of Cornerback and linebacker. Usually strong hitters and good tacklers.

There is offense and defense. If you have additional questions, including ones on special teams ask me.
    Diana Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2004, 05:53 PM
    Re: Player Positions
    jjza:
    Just wanted to say thanks for the easily understandable explanation on football player positions. I love watching football but it is more enjoyable when you can really get into it . I appreciate your help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dvd player [ 3 Answers ]

I've got a silly question : is it possible to play a regular cd on a dvd-player ? Are there any dangers doing this ? Is it convenient or should I rather stay on playing it on a cd-player ? I am asking this because I am thinking of buying a dvd player and I do not know if I have to keep my cd-player...

Mp3 Player [ 4 Answers ]

Anyone Have Any Thoughts On Mp3 Players? Other Than An I-pod Which Is Just Too Much Money... any Suggestions? Thanks

I'm a new player [ 2 Answers ]

How do you protect yourself in sports? My right wrist achs a little after last weekend's execise. Maybe new players are always easy to get hurt:) So how do you protect yourself in sports? Is it useful to wear some kind of wristband? I find the cotton one costs only $0.92 and looks very nice....

DVD Player/Recorder [ 1 Answers ]

I am in the process of purchasing a DVD Player that has the capability of "recording" at the same time. Can anyone help me find a quality (proven) device? I would appreciate hearing your recommendations! Thanks. Ponton

Real player [ 1 Answers ]

Is there any player --free- Which can play real media and avi files

View more questions Search