Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Chinki Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2008, 02:47 PM
    Resident doctor on J1 do I get tax exemption in the 2nd year of filing
    I am a resident doctor in PA and in my 2nd year. I am on J1 visa from India. Am I eligible for tax exemption? I f I have filed my taxes is it possible to correct them with the exemption, if applicable?
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Apr 9, 2008, 04:33 AM
    Every one on J1 visa is exempt form Social Security and Medicare taxes for two years. If you are considered a trainee, then you have treaty benefit for two years. You will file nonresident tax return, get personal exemption and standard deduction (as per treaty).

Read Your U.S. Tax Return: U.S. Tax Treaties for Students and Apprentices

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

(resident + non-resident alien) married filing jointly [ 1 Answers ]

I'm on F1 (non-resident alien) and spouse is resident alien. First time, we are making election to be treated as resident for tax year 2007. 1) do I need to pay back FICA (social secuity & medicare taxes) that were not withheld on my summer income in 2007? 2) since we need to attach a...

B1 status changed to J1 visa , filing tax as non resident vs resident [ 4 Answers ]

Hi. I have been in the US for 1.5 years. I arrived on July 2006 to work as a physician alien and research scholar. I was previously in the US partially for at least 6 months each of the previous years from 2002 to 2005 on a B1 visa. When I came to the US in 2006 I had a J1 visa. I filled last...

Tax filing for resident & non resident states [ 1 Answers ]

I am a full time resident of NC. My employer pays state taxes for MI. My W2 has NC address. Do I need to file tax returns for NC also ? What would be the best solution so that I won't end up paying both state taxes ?

Non-resident H4 - filing jointly or married filing separately, and ITIN [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I got married in the middle of last year and moved later in 2006 to the USA (h4 visa, spouse H1 visa). I do not meet the substantial presence test for 2006 (taking into account the previous two years and computing) or the green card test. As I understand, we can only file jointly if I...

Non-resident H4, ITIN number, e-filing, jointly filing taxes with spouse [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I've got a couple of questions. My spouse is a resident (H1) and I'm on an H4 visa. I'm a non-resident based on the substantial presence test. When we file our taxes 1) Do I need to get a ITIN number before we file our joint taxes? How long would it take to get one? 2) Once I have the...

View more questions Search