Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kenny Cogburn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2006, 08:38 AM
    Ceiling Fan Mystery
    We have a Hampton Bay ceiling fan with a hand held remote. After living in this home for approx. 3 years, the fan started coming on by itself. Sometimes the light would also come on and other times the light or fan would come on by itself. We first thought the batteries in the remote might be low so we took them out, a short while later the fan started running while the batteries were out. Could be an electrical short but it has never tripped a breaker. Sometimes it will be several days before it will come on again. We thought maybe one of our neighbors bought a new remote control appliance and the remotes were on the same frequency. We asked our nearest neighbor and they had not. Could it be someone else's remote in the neighborhood?
    chained_to_the_wind Posts: 11, Reputation: 4

Feb 11, 2006, 07:02 PM
    It sounds to me like something spiritual lol... do you also find that things are being moved around the house.. or sometimes hear footsteps in the hall while everyone's sleeping (smiles)...
    shader Posts: 235, Reputation: 12

Feb 11, 2006, 08:38 PM
    1) It could be someone else's remote other than your nearest neighbors. These fan remotes are supposed to have a limited range and be FCC approved. However, this stuff is made offshore so who knows what the quality really is. 2) The problem could stem from anything in the area that emits a signal that is not properly controlled; a home entertainment center with wireless speakers, CB/ham radio, etc. My friend had the same problem after moving into a new townhome, and traced the problem to a neighbors wireless hub router for their computers. FYI-a local towing firm's CB radio caused my cordeless phone to ring & I was able to listen/talk :cool: 3)- The most likely problem is the remote controller-basically a receiver-located under the fan canopy. This unit controls the fan (and lights if applicable), contains microprocessors and receives signals from the hand held unit. If the processor in the remote controller gets messed up, it could explain why the fan goes on/off on its own, even with the batteries removed from the hand unit.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Feb 21, 2006, 06:37 PM
    Have you tried changing the frequency on your remote and receiver? This is a common problem, and usually the cause is what Shader mentions. The solution is changing the frequency by resetting the dip switches that set the frequency.

Here tells you how to do that:

http://www.ceiling-fans-n-more.com/c...e-controls.php

If that doesn't solve the problem.. . Well I can't think of anything else it could be, if it doesn't solve the problem, so fingers crossed that it does!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mystery bug? [ 10 Answers ]

This bug/bird/insect has been flying around our butterfly bushes for the past few weeks. Any ideas on what it could be. We are stumped because it appears to be a hummingbird/butterfly type specie but up close it looks like a lobster! We would love some insight. :confused:

An Intruiging Mystery [ 5 Answers ]

My dorm room, as of late has been a bit crowded with some six legged visitors. I did not manage to snag a picture, but after thoroughly searching the internet, I am still in the dark as to the name of our new friends. They are about 2.5 cm long. It looks as if they have some sort of wing structure,...

Mystery pipe [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I have sort of plastic pipe sticking out of the ground next to the back of the house: http://www.bainite.org/images/thingy.jpg It 4" wide and sticks about 6" out of the ground. For visual reference, the black hose next to it is a soaker hose. Does anyone know what this is? We...

Mystery to solve [ 3 Answers ]

The AC unit condensation drip tube runs into 1” black tubing that then disappears into the floor slab. I have always assumed that it connected into the main sewer line. This past winter I replaced all of the under slab cast iron sewer pipe with PVC and found no such connection. Never saw the black...

Religious Mystery [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm looking for a movie with the following actors: Robert Di Niro, Robert Divall, Charles Durney. It was a Catholic theme movie that had mystery and complications. I think the movie was made around 1980. I can't seem to remember the title though.? Please reply asap if you have any info that...

View more questions Search