Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ladybirdro Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2008, 10:07 AM
    Traveling to the Bahamas with a bench warrant
    I am going to the Bahamas and recently found out (5 days ago) that I have fines I did not pay in the state of Utah from 11 years ago, I also found out there is a 1500 dollar bench warrant for not paying these fines, will I have problems going to the bahamas or coming back into the country. Worried sick over this, please help with any answers
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 8, 2008, 10:17 AM
    Hello lady:

I don't know. But, when you get back you'll be going through customs where they'll be looking at YOU.

Now, I'm just an exconvict, and I don't know what they have on their computer screens after they punch in your name. But, I doubt it's your driving record they're looking at. They ARE cops. They do have access to the database that has your warrant. They'd LOVE to bust you. They have tons of money to spend on things that make arresting people easier...

If it was me, I wouldn't give 'em a chance.

What I WOULD do, is hire a lawyer in Utah TODAY. If you paid your fines TOMORROW, then your warrant would be GONE the day after. Wouldn't that be better than worrying?

excon
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Apr 9, 2008, 05:17 PM
    Why not pay the fines THEN go on vacation? Much easier than having a nice vacation courtesy of the State of Utah waiting for your hearing while you are in jail? Probably much better scenery in the Bahamas anyway. If you know about the warrant why would you even think of risking it? To me that's a no brainer.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 9, 2008, 06:57 PM
    Yes, most likely it will show up. Now the issues are, where are you flying out of, where are you entering and leaving the nation. They may detain you, it will be up to the court where the warrant is at, to decide if they are willing to pay to have you bought back or not. If you are in Florida and the warrant is in OR, OK, most likely after you are detained they will late you go latter when OR decides not to come get you.

But you can be detained if you get stopped for a traffic ticket or any stop.
    So your best bet, take care of it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bench Warrant [ 7 Answers ]

If I have a bench warrant issued, for a traffice violation, can the police(law) arrest me at my house/job/while I'm walking with my baby? Thanks,

Traveling with a bench warrant [ 4 Answers ]

Will you get arrested/ stopped at the airport if you have a bench warrant?

Bench Warrant [ 1 Answers ]

I have a friend that was sent to prison for 5 years for unlawful possession of a firearm by a felon. He was offered 2 years but decided to go for the jury trial. After the trial he was convicted to 5 years. (He had a terrible court appointed attorney that did absolutely nothing to help him.) He...

Bench Warrant! [ 2 Answers ]

My boyfriend got a DUI. He did not show to the mandated program he was to attend and failed to appear at the last court date. If he were to show up at the court house, would he be arrested on site??

View more questions Search