Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    doIowe Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2008, 06:38 AM
    SOL in Ontario
    In 1995 I took out a personal loan with a bank which was actually money for a small business I was running (not smart I know now). The company ceased operations that year and believe me I was not sitting on a pile of money. In other words, I had no way to repay the debt. In 1999 the bank got a judgement against me but failed to act until I recently received a brief from their new lawyers seeking a new judgement. In the brief they acknowledge that more then six years have passed.

So my question. Do they now have a right to seek another judgement and can they garnish my wages? I should say is the court likely to grant such a motion?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 8, 2008, 07:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by doIowe
    In 1995 I took out a personal loan with a bank which was actually money for a small business I was running (not smart I know now). The company ceased operations that year and believe me I was not sitting on a pile of money. In other words, I had no way to repay the debt. In 1999 the bank got a judgement against me but failed to act until I recently received a brief from their new lawyers seeking a new judgement. In the brief they acknowledge that more then six years have passed.

So my question. Do they now have a right to seek another judgement and can they garnish my wages? I should say is the court likely to grant such a motion?

Are they renewing the first Judgment or getting a new Judgment?

If it's a new Judgment I would question why and also, yes, it appears that Statute has passed.

Apr 8, 2008, 09:29 PM
    I believe it is a new motion or judgement being sought. In one part of the brief it notes that it has been more then six years since the last judgement specifically saying, "more than six years have elapsed from the date of the judgement and the Plaintiff seeks leave to issue and file a Writ of Seizure and Sale". In another part of the brief, it specifically states, " Through inadvertence, the Writ of Seizure and Sale was not renewed prior to it's expiry in 2005".
    Uber Member

Apr 9, 2008, 06:10 AM
    I believe it is a new motion or judgement being sought. In one part of the brief it notes that it has been more then six years since the last judgement specifically saying, "more than six years have elapsed from the date of the judgement and the Plaintiff seeks leave to issue and file a Writ of Seizure and Sale". In another part of the brief, it specifically states, " Through inadvertence, the Writ of Seizure and Sale was not renewed prior to it's expiry in 2005".

It sounds to me like they are applying for permission to collect on a judgment (thus, seizure and sale) on the grounds of some sort of inadvertence or mistake which caused the Writ not to be executed in 2005.

I would think - and I am in the US - that an Attorney (or perhaps you) could argue that this is outside the Statute of Limitations and the Statute is there for a reason which the creditor is trying to circumvent, error or no error.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 9, 2008, 06:34 AM
    It certainly does sound like someone slipped up and let the judgement expire and they are trying to get around that. You need to research laws that would allow them to do so. Otherwise, you request a hearing. Go to court and point out that the judgement expired in 2005 and was not renewed.

Apr 9, 2008, 08:48 AM
    I am in the process of hiring a lawyer to deal with this matter. I believe that their problem collecting was that I had a low paying job through those years. Now suddenly they have discovered that my income has more then doubled and I think they are rubbing their hands together. Basically, you can't get blood from a stone or they couldn't in 2005. Would the change in my economic status be a reason for them to now seek a new judgement? By the way... thank you for you answers. They are much appreciated.
    Uber Member

Apr 9, 2008, 03:34 PM
    I am in the process of hiring a lawyer to deal with this matter. I believe that their problem collecting was that I had a low paying job through those years. Now suddenly they have discovered that my income has more then doubled and I think they are rubbing their hands together. Basically, you can't get blood from a stone or they couldn't in 2005. Would the change in my economic status be a reason for them to now seek a new judgement? By the way......thank you for you answers. They are much appreciated.

Anything is possible but you'll probably never know. I don't recall how big the Judgment is but it's unusual in the US for a creditor to admit a mistake and go about trying to get something reinstated. Sounds like somebody made a mistake, discovered on audit.

Apr 9, 2008, 10:55 PM
    Thanks for your help Judy. I'll let you know what happens. Stay tuned.

Apr 10, 2008, 05:30 AM
    No, a change in circumstance does not provide grounds for reinstatng the judgement.

Apr 14, 2008, 06:53 AM
    After seeing a lawyer he advises that I should make a deal with them. They are only seeking to renew the Writ of Seizure and Sale. The lawyer told me the original judgement can be renewed continually at 10 year intervals so it never goes away. Since the bank did exercise their legal rights originally he believes a judge would renew the Writ since I have no way of contesting that I do owe the money.

I had hoped to avoid this with attempting to save for retirement and two kids coming to post secondary age soon, however, sometimes in life you have to pay for mistakes and I will pay for mine. Thanks again for your input here. Very nice of you all.
    Uber Member

Apr 14, 2008, 07:07 AM
    After seeing a lawyer he advises that I should make a deal with them. They are only seeking to renew the Writ of Seizure and Sale. The lawyer told me the original judgement can be renewed continually at 10 year intervals so it never goes away. Since the bank did exercise their legal rights originally he believes a judge would renew the Writ since I have no way of contesting that I do owe the money.

I had hoped to avoid this with attempting to save for retirement and two kids coming to post secondary age soon, however, sometimes in life you have to pay for mistakes and I will pay for mine. Thanks again for your input here. Very nice of you all.

Thanks for the update - I'm amazed that a Judgment can be renewed forever. I'm used to one term and then one renewal and then it's over.

Good luck!

Apr 14, 2008, 07:53 AM
    So a judgement holder can allow the judgement to lapse and then go back and reinstate it? I would check with another lawyer.
    Uber Member

Apr 14, 2008, 08:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    So a judgement holder can allow the judgement to lapse and then go back and reinstate it? I would check with another lawyer.

I'm reading this as the renewal of the Judgment was either done - or automatically done - but that the Writ somehow wasn't renewed.

Or something.

I'm still chewing on a Judgment never expiring.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Apr 14, 2008, 11:01 PM
    I thought a judgment could only last for a maximum of 20 years in Ontario.
    Uber Member

Apr 15, 2008, 04:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainForest
    I thought a judgment could only last for a maximum of 20 years in Ontario.

So did I - but when I went to research it I found out that US Judgments in "most cases" (some exceptions) are enforceable in Canada. Never heard that before and got engrossed in reading the Law, never got to the "how long does a Judgment last" question.

Perhaps the OP is confused - I don't really know. I have difficulty with the un-ending Judgment idea.

Apr 19, 2008, 07:12 AM
    The judgement has a term but can be renewed continually. I was surprised since we treat actual criminals better then that, however, the way he explained it made sense to me. The Writ of Seizure and Sale is what expired not the judgement. Since the bank had exercised their right to obtain a judgement but only allowed the Writ to expire he felt it unlikely a judge would not renew the Writ since I have no defense for not paying the loan.

Apr 19, 2008, 05:09 PM
    While that makes sense, it just surprises me that those would be considered separately. But it may be an issue for Canada jurisprudence.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

SOL ontario [ 2 Answers ]

What constitutes default for sol ? On a credit card debt ? Last payment ? Or when it is assigned to collection ?

Theft under $5000, in ontario [ 1 Answers ]

I got caught under section 334(b), theft under $5000, in ontario first time. Need to appear in court. I'm guilty and would never ever going to do this mistake. I would not like to get those under my record. What are things should I do. Can anyone guide me for this please, so that my carrier not get...

What to do in ontario? [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Dated a girl in 1997-98, during which time she became pregnant.She told me she was on birth control, but forgot to get it filled! Was with her for 3/3 1/2 months of pregnancy.(but a year in total) At...

Statute of limitations ontario [ 1 Answers ]

I have a debt that is 15 years old they are now trying to collect what can I do

View more questions Search