Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    charanbeer2001 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2008, 11:42 PM
    How to install Linux ubuntu in Windows XP machine as a dual boot
    I Have Windows Xp Installed In My Pc, And I Have Download Iso File Of Linux Ubuntu, I Want To Install That In Same Machine , Please Tell Me How I Can Install The Same As A Dual Boot... :)
    Nez Posts: 557, Reputation: 51

Apr 11, 2008, 04:59 AM
    Firstly,as you know,you will need one blank CD-R,or DVD-R disc,to copy the iso file,so that you will have Ubuntu OS,burned to use.Just copy the entire iso file.

You can use Daemon Tools (free download),to simply mount an iso file,without "burning" it to disc,but I would not use this method here.

Then you need to download EasyBSD,again free download,and once installed,follow all instructions.This does involve Partitioning your HD,but EasyBSD is just that.

If your unsure about anything,make certain that you back-up all your important files first,such as any media.I would suggest an external-drive for that,as nothing is fool-proof.But above all,do not panic,and just take your time.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2008, 06:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Nez
    Then you need to download EasyBSD,again free download,and once installed,follow all instructions.This does involve Partitioning your HD,but EasyBSD is just that.
    Nez, if he already has the Ubuntu ISO and he burns the CD then all he needs is to boot to that CD, the installation will take care of the partitioning. I've installed Ubuntu and Xubuntu and that's how it's worked for me. :)

The installation will preserve your Windows partition. After installation of Ubuntu your next reboot will show the option to boot into XP or Ubuntu.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to install linux with windows xp already there [ 7 Answers ]

How to install fedora 7 with windows xp already installed.I am a lay man,so tell me step by step

Win and linux ubuntu boot screen! [ 5 Answers ]

Hi all. I just installed ubuntu 7.10 on my PC! When I was using windows xp pro I had 3 partitions on my system. I installed ubuntu on one of them and now I can see only one! I have no boot selection screen to choose either windows or linux! :( How can I boot to windows again? I'm worried cause I...

Anyone have any experience installing Ubuntu on a Windows machine? [ 8 Answers ]

Before I take the plunge I have a few questions. I've done some prep work already: files backed up, burned iso to CD, defragged my C:. - if I install to C: will the boot manager automatically install and offer my dual boot options? - I imagine a new partition will be created, I guess that'll...

No dual boot prompt for linux [ 2 Answers ]

I was having windows98 installed on my system(celeron 500MHz processor ,64MB RAM). I recently installed red hat 7.3 on my system.the installation was successful.I used lilo as my boot loader. The problem that I am facing is after starting my system , instead of asking to choose a os(dual...

Boot linux from an external hard drive dual boot? [ 1 Answers ]

Can I boot linex from an external hard drive dual boot. How do I do it ?

View more questions Search