Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RosieJ74 Posts: 33, Reputation: 2

Apr 7, 2008, 08:16 PM
    Holding gain?
    A debit balance in the account Market Adjustment - Available-for-Sale Securities at the end of the year should be interpreted as the net

A. unrealized holding gain for that year

B. realized holding gain for that year

C. unrealized holding gain to date

D. realized holding gain to date

I think it is A or C, but I am not really sure
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Apr 10, 2008, 09:30 PM
    Well, it is unrealized. A gain/loss is never realized until you actually get it (or lose it) by selling it.

As for this year only, or to date... Let's say you bought a security for $10,000. At the end of the year it is worth $11,000. So you would debit your market adjustment account and credit the unrealized gain.

At the end of a second year, the security is worth $12,500. The entry to make is to get the book value of this security up to $12,500. Prior to your entry the book value is $11,000. So your entry needs to consist of a $1500 debit to the market adjustment account and credit to the unrealized gain. The gain is the current year only of $1500. But how much is in the market adjustment account? Just that year's gain, or the whole thing to date?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

SS With holding [ 1 Answers ]

Greetings all, I have an employee who is currently having Social Security withheld from his semi monthly paycheck. He will reach the SS limit ($6324) in June 2008 at the current rate of withholding. Is it possible to have the $6324.00 spread over 12 months?

Security deposit to gain or not to gain? [ 1 Answers ]

Living in Rochester NY. Had a one year lease ready to move . This complex is privately owned corp. Its huge. Leaving Rochester office claims it will send security in one month time. Does this complex have the right to keep the interest my security deposit has gained. In the past living at other...

The guy holding my hand and the guy holding my heart aren't the same? [ 10 Answers ]

I really like my ex still and I have a new boyfriend and he's so sweet and all, but I'm still just so in love with my ex and it makes me feel bad for my new boyfriend.. I mean I told my ex that I still like him and everything but the thing is is that he has a new girlfriend and so yeah I can't...

How to do you.S. Tax filling, I am holding H1, my wife and son are holding H4 [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am holding H-1B, my wife and son are holding H4. I was here in US for 2 times in 2006, June 7 days and December 14 days, my wife and son came here in December and stayed with me till last week of Jan'07. I want to file my returns for 2006. I am still working here on h-1B. My family will...

Something Holding Me Down... [ 3 Answers ]

It happened about a year ago. I was sleeping and I wanted to wake up and I did. (I usually do that if I feel like something bad is about to happen). So I woke up and couldn't move. And I could see this thing it was black kind of shadow like holding me down. And everything kind of calmed down since...

View more questions Search