Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CarMechanic Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2006, 07:58 PM
    Cast iron soil pipe
    Hi I would appreciate very much if someone could clarify some questions I have on oakum/lead joints

I have 3 horizontal hub and spigot joints to repair on 4" cast iron sewer pipe. The pipe itself is @ 5 years old.

I would like to know if this is the correct way to solve this problem...

1... attempt to recaulk joint as is (dont take it apart)

If this is unsuccessful then

2... remove lead ring and oakum and repack

This brings the major question of what to use to seal the oakum:

1... pour hot lead and caulk
    2... use lead wool and caulk (no heat packed cold?)
    3... HARVEYS soil seal

Could someone clarify the advantages/disadvanteges of each

Thank you
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 11, 2006, 07:19 AM
    I have 3 horizontal hub and spigot joints to repair on 4" cast iron sewer pipe. The pipe itself is @ 5 years old.

I would like to know if this is the correct way to solve this problem...

1... attempt to recaulk joint as is (dont take it apart)

If this is unsuccessful then

2... remove lead ring and oakum and repack

1... pour hot lead and caulk
    2... use lead wool and caulk (no heat packed cold?)
    3... HARVEYS soil seal

Could someone clarify the advantages/disadvanteges of each

F I were faced with this the first thing I would do is (1)to take a set of inside and outside caulking irons and recaulk the joints. It's my bet that will solve your problem but I will answer your questions as you ask them.

(2)... remove lead ring and oakum and repack.
    This would require a yarning and packing iron and put the hub in danger of being cracked when you removed the lead seal.
    (1)... pour hot lead and caulk
    This requires a running rope, lead ladle, And a lead pot or torch to melt the lead in the ladle. It would also require experience in pouring a horizontal joint.
    No task for a newbie.
    (2)... use lead wool and caulk (no heat packed cold?)
    (3)... HARVEYS soil seal
    Both are acceptable.
    My opinion is that when you recaulk the joints your problems will be over.
    Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Help! We're fixing a cast iron soil pipe & NEED HELP! [ 10 Answers ]

OK - short history of our problem! - We have a 60 yr old house - crawl space - cast iron pipes... Last week we had a back up from the washer into the tub & toilet - from the tub into the toilet... We have only 1 bath so this was VERY BAD! :( - Called Roto Rooter - $270 later - and an extra trip...

Cast Iron Pipe Joints problem [ 12 Answers ]

I'm trying to remove a 4" bronce/copper(?) pipe from a cast iron hub. The joint appears to be solded with lead. I heated the joint with a hand held gas torch expecting to losing up the lead but it did not make a dent on it. I have opted for hammering the pipe out but it is showing harder that I...

Lead Pipe/cast iron [ 4 Answers ]

Hi! I just removed drywall to fix a drain from a bathroom sink. I found 1.5" soft lead pipe from the p-trap to a 3" hub on the cast iron stack. Can I use some kind of coupler from the lead pipe to new plastic or do I need to replace the entire length of pipe? If I need to replace, what's a good...

Cutting cast iron pipe [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I have a project I am working on in the basement and I need to tie 3" plastic into 3" cast iron. I will be renting a ratchet type cast cutter. The cast comes out of the basement floor and goes straight up to serve the first floor bathroom. What I would like to do is cut a section out of the...

Cast iron waste pipe [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I have just bought a 32 yr old house and have started updating some of the fixtures. In our 1/2 bath the previous owners installed a pedistal sink with brass fixtures (p-trap, hot cold valves). We are changing all things brass to brushed nickel. So we took out the sink to paint...

View more questions Search