Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    feistabarbie Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2008, 06:02 PM
    Drills for VOlleyball
    Hey,
    Haven't been on here in a while but I'm here for all the help I can gett.

My love of life is volleyball(well I love it a lot anyway,)and so I'm here for as many tips as I can get.

Anything from setting to serving, but mostly tips on hitting(attacking/spiking), blocking and serving would be most appreciated.

Also I would love it if anyone had any drills I can do on my own by myself to better prepare me for volleyball.

I'm on the A team but next year the coach said I might be good enough for our vaarsity and so I am going ot work really hard to get there.

Oh and there's any webpages you know about that could help me that would be great as well.

Muchos amor.
    Peace and love

Feista barbuie
    cute kate Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Aug 29, 2008, 08:48 PM
    BUMPING: This is really easy to practice at home. Find a open wall and bump the ball to and from the wall or
    Work on this with a friend.

SETTING: It is simply pushing the ball up and outward with your fingertips. You can also use the bumping practice method for this.

SERVING: There are two ways to serve: underhand and overhand. You can practice this in a gym where there is a net or just make how tall the net is at home on a wall and then hit above the mark. Make sure you have a good toss; the ideal toss isn't too high or too low.

SPIKING: Spiking can really only be practiced on a net, but you can find a wall and practice hitting down on the wall so it bounces back to you. When you have the net, practice your approach. Whichever foot is comfortbale, step a large step first and then two smaller steps to follow and smack the ball DOWN
    sideoutshu Posts: 225, Reputation: 23

Apr 1, 2009, 02:57 PM

At the level you are at, the most important thing you can do is get a lot of repetitions. The easiest and most effective way to do this is by peppering. (where you stand across from another player and pass, set, spike, dig to eachother). It will really help your fundamentals and develop good habits.

As far as spiking, the most important thing you can do when not using a net its to hit a ball against a wall repeatedly, using the EXACT motion you use when you swing.

Whether hitting against the wall, or peppering, the thing you want to practice constantly with attacking the ball is snapping your wrist and getting topspin on the ball. When you hit, you should try and think of your hand as wrapping around the ball.

Forget the previously mentioned stuff with bumping against a wall, that doesn't work at all. You need to have someone to practice with. As far as blocking, the most important thing I can tell you unrelated to form is to watch the ball at all times. To omany young kids block with their eyes closed.

If you want to play high level volleyball at any point in your life, forget about underhand serving and just work on serving overhand all the time, even if you screw up.

The best advice I can give you is if you want to be a valuable asset to a team, the most important thing you can work on is serve receive. If you can pass a serve into the setters hands every time, it doesn't matter how well you do anything else when playing at a high school level. There is always a place for someone who can pass.

The other piece of advice I can give you is that if you want to play at a high level someday, and you don't think you will ever be over 5'7, LEARN TO SET.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

If I want to try out for the volleyball team after the summer. [ 2 Answers ]

How much should I be excercising if I'm trying to get into shape for my highschool's volleyball team after the summer? I weigh 120 lbs, am almost 14 and I'm 5'7 1/2. I have NO clue what to be excercixing, some say my legs, arms, abs, but how should I know? You have any advice on food/excercise...

Speed in volleyball [ 3 Answers ]

How to develop speed in volleyball? Which excercises to do??

Fire Drills/Escape Routs for homes with more than one floor. [ 5 Answers ]

This very important question arose today in conversation. If in the event of a house fire, how does a family safely get out of a 2 story (or more) home if the first floor is engulfed with flames? Thanks for all input. Kae

Volleyball Training Equipment [ 0 Answers ]

Does anyone out there know anything about marketing volleyball training equipment?

View more questions Search