Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mamayh37 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2006, 06:08 PM
    Medical
    Thank you! Would like to get information on the Pituary Gland. Can anyone help?:o
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Feb 11, 2006, 11:23 AM
    From U of M Medical Center:

Anatomy of the pituitary gland:
    The pituitary gland is sometimes called the "master" gland of the endocrine system, because it controls the functions of the other endocrine glands. The pituitary gland is no larger than a pea, and is located at the base of the brain. The gland is attached to the hypothalumus (a part of the brain that affects the pituitary gland) by nerve fibers. The pituitary gland itself consists of three sections:

* the anterior lobe
    * the intermediate lobe
    * the posterior lobe

Functions of the pituitary gland:
    Each lobe of the pituitary gland produces certain hormones.

Anterior lobe:

* growth hormone
    * prolactin - to stimulate milk production after giving birth
    * ACTH (adrenocorticotropic hormone) - to stimulate the adrenal glands
    * TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone) - to stimulate the thyroid gland
    * FSH (follicle-stimulating hormone) - to stimulate the ovaries and testes
    * LH (luteinizing hormone) - to stimulate the ovaries or testes

Intermediate lobe:

* melanocyte-stimulating hormone - to control skin pigmentation

Posterior lobe:

* ADH (antidiuretic hormone) - to increase absorption of water into the blood
    By the kidneys
    * oxytocin - to contract the uterus during childbirth and stimulate milk production
    seo59.rajesh Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Dec 3, 2011, 05:10 AM
    As per I am concern www.healthinsuranceindia.org is the best information provider for senior citizen health insurance India. You can find all about senior citizen mediclaim from http://www.healthinsuranceindia.org/senior_citizen_health_insurance.asp

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Medical Insurance [ 2 Answers ]

I am about to retire from a large corporatation where I pay monthly premiums into our medical/dental plan. When I retire at end of year - that will stop and will purchase another family policy on my own. My wife has a travel agent business (a franchise - i.e. she receives a 1099 from them). My...

Medical question [ 5 Answers ]

Do patients need to follow the unwritten contract to "follow orders" as directed?

What is the medical term for... [ 1 Answers ]

I have sensitive skin that can easily react to temperature change, heat, stress, anxiety, embarrassment, and sometimes even touch. Red blotches/marks appear on my face, neck, and upper arms. It appears quickly and takes a while for it to go away. It is not anxiety centered, like it used to be. What...

Medical [ 2 Answers ]

I have dental bill of 973.00 which I am being taken to small claims court for. The court is in NJ and I live in PA. Can they garnish my wages because I do not have the full amount to give them? If so how much are they allowed to garnish my wages for and does it show on my credit report?

Medical Bankruptcy [ 2 Answers ]

I feel very lucky to find this site. It looks like it could be very useful. I will just jump right in and see what happens. A couple of years ago, I was caught up in a layoff, typical for my business. Seems like they are coming sooner and lasting longer. Well, because of the layoff, I was...

View more questions Search