Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    themags2000 Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Apr 7, 2008, 02:33 PM
    My daughter is dyslecxic, what do we do?
    Hello, my daugther was just diagnosed as learning dissable. And it is because she shows dyslecxic tendencies.. I was wondering if any of you has any suggestions on how to help her.. she confuses letters, and numbers.. constantly.. pdb even 9 look the same to her. And other letters as well. Is there anything out there to make this a little easier on her. I feel bad for her.. she realizes that she is struggling, and so she thinks she is "stupid" and I have assure her that, she is very bright, and smart, and that everything will be OK.. we just need to work at it. I am just looking for any resource out there that we as a family can benefit from.
    Thanks!
    Bluerose Posts: 1,521, Reputation: 310
    Ultra Member

Apr 7, 2008, 02:57 PM
    It was discovered at school that my son had dyslexia, he was given extra lessons in order to compensate. He left school with good exam results and he is now a police officer. You should continue to reassure her that she is not stupid. Talk to her teachers and find out what they can offer. You can also Google 'Tips on coping with Dyslexia'. There are ways to read, things to used that make reading easier. Encourage her to read a lot.

Apr 7, 2008, 03:07 PM
    My daughter is 7, and I did have her evaluated, they offer her an hour a day in the resource room. I encourage her to read, and she just hates it.. I don't give up though.. I tell her that she needs to, and sometimes.. we read together like I read one word she reads the next. My husband is dyslecxic and he struggles till this day he knows how to write and read, but he rather not do it, and does not offer much help on how to approach it since he didn't really get much help either as a child. I am concern that my daughter will grow up thinking she is not smart. The teacher has told me that she may not make it to second grade, and my daughter has told me that if she doesn't make it to second grade she is going to cry, and will feel stupid, and dumb :( and I have talk to her over and over, and told her how smart she is.. but she just shuts down, when it comes to that. I did look at the internet for info. I wish there were groups where maybe I can attend with her, and she can see that even though you are dixlesic you can trive. Kwim? Thanks so much for you answers!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 7, 2008, 05:29 PM
    At 7 it means she is in school, you need to get with the school and have a plan developed for helping her with this problem by providing a professional help. A hour extra in a resource room unless there is a professional to help her is not proper accomidations for her.

Apr 7, 2008, 06:09 PM
    I know unfortunally this is the only thing that the school has provided for her. I wasn't too happy with that, but figured it was better than nothing.. the teacher who is in charge of the resourse room is experienced in dixlesia, so I am hoping that this will help her. I know that the work she is doing in her hour at the resource room is learing he alphabet from writing it to prouncing it from scratch.. it is like if she was in kindergarten all over again, because the teacher has told me that for her to get to it she needs to reteach her everything from the beginning! Where do I go? A neroulogist?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 7, 2008, 06:19 PM
    As with any disability, the school has a legal obligation to funish proper teaching for people and to make those accomidations. They are required by law to develop a specific learning plan. So did you meet with the school officials and did they develop a written plan to help her ?
    This is a legal mandate that they are required to do.

I will admit my lack of knowledge on this specific problem, but know that problems in general have to legally be addressed.

I hope that some of the national group web sites may provide some ideas of where help can be reached.

I know the one showed where in California even extra testing time had to be allowed. I would say read all of the links from the web sites and the links from the links and I believe you will get a better idea of some of the things possible
    jellybelly Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 27, 2008, 12:20 PM
    Why not utilize the Exceptional Children's Program in her school? These educators are trained in specific learning disabilities and teaching children strategies for learning with their specific disability. If your child does not have an academic deficit (working below grade level) he/she might be served under a 504 Plan. You will need to povide the school with a signed copy of the psychological assessment that identified this SLD... or you will have to give permission to test the child. PLEASE use your school professionals... if people are reluctant... ask for a copy of the Parent's Rights Handbook!! Your child has a RIGHTS and the school system MUST deliver appropriate services in the least restrictive environment. GOOD LUCK!! KNOW YOUR RIGHTS AND YOUR CHILD'S RIGHTS!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I need help as far as treating a daughter like a daughter [ 11 Answers ]

Hello everyone, I am asking for help! I have a 33 year old daughter who it seems is always coming up with "why can't you treat me like a daughter should be treated, I have my own family and you just don't treat me like a daughter should be treated". What am I going to do here? I have been...

Looking for my daughter [ 2 Answers ]

I'm looking for my daughter that was put up for adoption in 1990, her birthday is february15,1990. She was born at forsythe memorial hospital in winston salem nc. She will be 18 this coming February. I would very much like to expliain to her what happened and tell her that I love her and not a day...

Daughter has to go [ 8 Answers ]

We have a almost 20 year old daughter that will not keep a job.no one will hire her because she would get a job then want off to go party and when they said no she would quit.She dropped out of high school and later said she wanted to join the army she started night school to get a ged and it...

Never Get to See My Daughter [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I am writing on behalf of my boyfriend. Here is his situation: He has a 3 yr. old daughter with his ex-girlfriend. At the time, they both lived in FL. She has now moved to MA with the daughter. My boyfriend sends money each month - there has never been any court ordered custody or...

Looking for my Daughter [ 15 Answers ]

I have a 20 yr old daughter, Jennifer who 5 days ago disappeared, left everything in her apartment, quit her job and is helping her troubled fiancé hide from the cops. I don't know where she is and if I should call the cops or get involved. She could be in trouble. She is very naïve and trusting...

View more questions Search