Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Solarrigger2000 Posts: 62, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2008, 02:30 PM
    Slowing Down A Motor
    Hello
    I am in the process of placing two small (less than a pound each) solar panels on the roof of my house.
    I would like to rig the system to tilt with the sun. This works out to a motor moving at 0.000012 hz or 0.000694 rpm. Does anyone know how to do this? Any other way to tilt the panels automatically an CHEAPLY will also work.

Please try to keep the price tag below $100.
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Apr 7, 2008, 04:18 PM
    Can you please tell me where one can buy solar panels for less than a pound?
    If that price is right, why don't you place a couple more of these panels together in one frame, each slightly tilted differently? And than wire everything in parallel, using diodes to separate them from each other.

At least I would do that, and prevent a lot of problems with trying to get everything motorized to keep it pointed at the sun.

Success!
    As always : if you require more info, please let me know. If this solves your problem, please rate the answer provided! Feed back is always appreciated!
    ;)

Apr 9, 2008, 01:11 PM
    Sorry about the confusion and the delay. The panels each weigh less than 1 pound. So any suggestions to the original problem?

Ps each of the panels are $40 and give off 135 mwatts
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Apr 9, 2008, 01:43 PM
    Gears.

You can slow down a DC motor using PWM. The Velleman p/n K8004 is available from www.Jameco.com. Motors can be up to 10 Amps. Supply voltage can vary too. Velleman has a website as well.
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Apr 10, 2008, 02:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Solarrigger2000
    sorry about the confusion and the delay. The panels each weigh less than 1 pound. So any suggestions to the original problem?
    Ps each of the panels are $40 and give off 135 mwatts
    Aaaaahhhhhh : they WEIGH less than a pound... :(

But if they are so small and only produce 135 mWatt each, why bother about solar panels any further?
    I have panels here of 2' by 2' (600 x 600 mm) weighing around 2 pounds (1 Kg) that produce over 20 Watt each.
    135 mWatt is even less than what is produced by mini solar panels on garden lights, that are sold here as a complete set of 6 garden light armatures for less than $ 10,00.

Average solar panels produce approx. 1 Watt per invested 4 US $
    In the latest developments in solar panels they even claim to produce approx. 1 Watt per invested US $
    So why do you want to spend all that money on moving toys?

See this link to solar panel prices !

Here is a link to low cost solar panel scraps for experimenting.

;)

Apr 26, 2008, 07:50 AM
    Sorry another mispost on the wattage.

Thanks to everyone for the tips on tilting the panels!
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Apr 27, 2008, 08:04 AM
    The one Biggsie showed from the Edmund Scientific looks like it will take care of the East/West, To get Maximum, You may want to consider the Up/Down Tilt also as to accommodate the Seasons, If it is fixed, set angle for the Middle(Equinox)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Slowing down an electric motor [ 13 Answers ]

I have an electric motor that rotates at 1750 rpm and I would like to slow it to maybe 100n rpm. Is that possible with out gearing?I am looking for an affordable solution. Thank you. Paul

Slowing clock [ 1 Answers ]

The clock in the taskbar of Windows is gradually going slow. I have make it right many times but every time it is running slow by 30 minutes in 24 hours. Help.

Slowing down [ 4 Answers ]

Okay so here's the floor plan. I had a best friend in Elementary school who had a sister. Me and my best friend did everything camping, sports, everything. Then as time grew on drifted away but always were friends. So about I would say 12 years later I'm at the gym and I see my elementary friends...

What is slowing down my computer? [ 4 Answers ]

I'm running a 3.0GHz EMT64 CPU, 1GIG of dual-channel memory, Windows 2000Pro (hyperthreading turned off) and a 64-bit capable motherboard of course. When I close or a window such as IE, I can't reopen it from the taskbar although I can still see it open down there. After about 15 seconds, it goes...

View more questions Search