Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Apr 16, 2008, 06:59 PM
    I don't care who I piss off. As long as I am not vulgar, I say what I think. When they throw me in jail for that then I will know exactly how far gone this country is. Then it will be time for drastic measures. I do know that day is coming sooner or later.
    PC is just another way the American government is whittling away personal freedom of thought. It is all a big mind screw for those that will fall for it.
    frangipanis Posts: 1,027, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

Apr 16, 2008, 11:16 PM
    Not all interest groups are to be deplored since without a few notable examples such as the women's movement, changes we take for granted today would never have happened. And without consistent pressure from a concerned Australian public, there would have been no legitimate democratic prompt to shift our foreign policy in favour of a withdrawal of Australian troupes from Iraq.
    It's time to leave Iraq: Houston - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Apr 16, 2008, 11:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by frangipanis
    not all interest groups are to be deplored since without a few notable examples such as the womens movement, changes we take for granted today would never have happened. And without consistent pressure from a concerned Australian public, there would have been no legitimate democratic prompt to shift our foreign policy in favour of a withdrawal of Australian troupes from Iraq.
    It's time to leave Iraq: Houston - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
    Yes, good examples of authentic progress and in my opinion prime examples of what he said in his speech frangipanis. Perhaps "progress" needs a separate definition? I have no problem (like Mag) in standing up to correct what is wrong in our societies. Nor do I complain when asked to participate in doing my "duty." It is the extremes by some of the examples given that I have a problem with.

71 degrees today here in Chicago... finally.

Stringer
    Ultra Member

Apr 16, 2008, 11:45 PM
    Understood... :)

71 degrees... nice weather you're having..
    JimGunther Posts: 436, Reputation: 38

Apr 19, 2008, 10:53 PM
    I get angry every time I heard the words "political correctness" which to me means that you can't say anything that offends anyone.

It is blatantly obvious to me that such thinking flies squarely in the face of the freedom of speech we hold so dear to our hearts in this country. I learned in law school that "harmful or offensive" touching is the definition of a commn law battery, or as the layman would say it, an assault. But offensive speech is as a general rule protected by the First Amendment. We have a "dumbing down" problem in the educational system in this country which seems to have lead to such misunderstandings about what you can and cannot say.
    Ultra Member

Apr 20, 2008, 04:34 AM
    Here's a definition of political correctness that shows there's a lot of room for confusion about p c:
    Political correctness - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm sure it can be naïve and even dangerous to attribute only positive motives and characteristics to a race and/or sub-culture or individual --- at the same time, I'm wondering if being insulting or accusatory towards someone because of their racial origins just to get across a political point, is likely to bring about the changes you want.

Wouldn't inviting representatives from conflicting groups to talk in a hostile free atmosphere, or educating people with facts about an issue in ways that show a variety of attitudes and actions within a group a better option? I'm wondering what's to be gained by pointing the finger - unless you've given up on achieving a peaceful outcome.

I guess I tend to prefer to appeal to what people have in common to broaden the moderate thinker base, rather than using the tactic of shouting down the opposition.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 20, 2008, 06:29 AM
    Hello f:

You presume everybody wants to get along and sing coom-by-ya around the fire. I don't make that presumption.

Although I find it personally despicable, in this great country of ours, one is free to hate. Therefore, according to the First Amendment to the Constitution, one ought to be able to say so, and in no uncertain terms.

excon
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Apr 20, 2008, 06:33 AM
    I don't like fat people.
    Ultra Member

Apr 20, 2008, 07:35 AM
    Canadians are gay
    Ultra Member

Apr 20, 2008, 07:37 AM
    ... and happy, carefree people. :)
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Apr 20, 2008, 07:54 AM
    LOL! Yes, we are a gay lot.
    Ultra Member

Apr 20, 2008, 06:40 PM
    Don't know why a mad face appeared here??
    You presume everybody wants to get along and sing coom-by-ya around the fire. I don't make that presumption.[/QUOTE]

It may seem that way, when in fact I don't start with that premise at all. I assume there will always be people who love to war monger and love to hate ~ anything ! I'd like to minimise the damage they cause, that's all.

I personally hate walking into a house full of dirty dishes...
    Ultra Member

Apr 21, 2008, 07:13 PM
    Lol!. In my case I know who's leaving the dishes for me to do, and they certainly aren't fairies... or angels.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Political correctness. [ 39 Answers ]

Sometimes I really wonder about our society and Political correctness gone mad. Yesterday in Sydney , Australia one of the major shopping centres were conducting interviews for this years hoard of Santa Claus's. One of the rules for this year is Santa is not allowed to say" Ho Ho Ho" for fear it...

Decent English vs. Political Correctness [ 6 Answers ]

Today I heard the term "waitperson" used for someone who waits tables. I'm getting used to some of the Political Correct gender neutral terms, but this one sounded odd to me. If we nix waiter and waitress, shouldn't we nix actor and actress too? But then what? Actperson? I'm curious; Does...

Ignorant Anthropologists? Or Political Correctness? [ 15 Answers ]

I have great respect for the science of anthropology but recently I came across two representations which made me question both motives and the qualifications of those anthropologists who were involved. First, there was a documentary concerning the Taino Indians of the Caribbean. I began watching...

Is political correctness what it used to be? [ 5 Answers ]

Have we outgrown political correctness, or is it still with us? I get confusing readings from the media on this one. I remember that once upon a time, political correctness was being promoted because many people believe that removing hate speech from public dialogues woud keep the hate from...

Political correctness [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I am curious as to why in this day and age when every word uttered publicly must be politically correct, (e.g. mailperson as opposed to mailman, and firefighter vis-à-vis fireman) first year college students are still called freshmen, as opposed to freshstudents, or freshpeople. Mark

View more questions Search