Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shamrock0019 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2006, 03:36 PM
    How to evict renters after buying a home
    I am purchasing my mother in-laws home. I am closing in three weeks.
    If I close on Feb 28th, is it possible for me to evict my mother in-law's current roommate? She has no lease and has been living there since Nov.-05.
    Can I kick her out on Feb. 28th?
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Feb 10, 2006, 03:39 PM
    You should send them a letter now, stating they will have to vacate the home.Have the attorney closing the settlement also send them a letter to the same.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Feb 10, 2006, 05:45 PM
    You have to give a tenant a minimum of 30 days written notice to vacate. If she hasn't left after the 30 days then you have to file a lawsuit for eviction. Go to http://realestate.findlaw.com/landlord to read about evictions in general and then click on the Resources link to get the specifics for your state.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 10, 2006, 06:55 PM
    Agreed, you have to give them a 30 day notice. And if they still don't leave you will have to file for eviction in court. They will set a court date, and then serve her eviction papers.

Hopefully she will move in the 30 day notice, evictions always get nasty.
    AngelicParadox Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2007, 07:43 PM
    I am not sure about this... and I do know it varies by state, but if there is no written lease I do believe (depending on the state that is) you can actually give them a 10 day notice to vacate the premises.

A friend of mine ran into a sticky wicket with this several months back. She had been renting a house for several years and they were actually in the process of doing a rent to own. Instead of telling them he changed his mind and was selling the house out from under them, the landlord had their water turned off etc. then they were served a notice that they had 10 days to vacate. These poor people had no clue anything was going on behind the scenes either. As far as they knew they were getting ready to agree on a rent to own situation, then he sells the house right out from under them. She had checked it out and apparently in the state of Pennsylvania, since the lease had actually expired years ago, apparently it was perfectly legal to give 10 days notice. Something about he had the right to reclaim the property? I suppose if you wanted to be ignorant to the woman you could check it out lol.

I would hope your mothers roommate would have the foresight to look for housing elsewhere but you never know <shrugs>. I guess that's where meaningful communication comes in to disclose intent. Good Luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What do I need to do to evict a person living in my home ? [ 14 Answers ]

My son lives in a rental property of mine. He allowed a young woman to move in with him. He has asked/told her to move out. She has refused. She does not pay rent and never has - her name is not on the lease. What steps can I take to evict her legally from the premises in the state of...

My roomy has no job can I even proceed to evict? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi there. I need help. I think I'm stuck under California Law. Here's the situation. I own a home. I rent to 2 other individuals. One of which, makes me want to move out! And I own the place! So nutty... So here's the dilemna, I'm wondering if it's even worth it to give a terminate a lease...

Buying a home in Washington from Canada [ 1 Answers ]

Hello :) I would like to find out what the costs are when buying a home and Rent it out. I am from Canada and wanted to know what tax implications there may be if I were to buy real estate in Washington or any state in the U.S. Thank you..

Selling home/buying home simultaneously [ 8 Answers ]

Real estate agent and the mtg broker she works with want me to refinance loan with them, take equity out of it and buy a townhouse, move into townhouse while maintaining my mtg with my present home while trying to sell it. I called Wamu (my original lender) and questioned him about this and he...

Kansas State Renters Law for Renters [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Lenexa, Kansas a part of Johnson County Kansas. I need to know What the law is governing renters rights when it comes to repair of things Like garbage disposals etc. I also need to know if it is a requirement of the Law to have shades or blinds furnished by landlord or if this is the...

View more questions Search