Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aammpp Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2008, 06:28 AM
    Radius of Galaxy
    How do you find the radius of a galaxy, R, knowing the distance to that galaxy, and the distance between that galaxy and another right beside it. (Like a binary galaxy, we're assuming the distance to both the galaxies is the same). An equation is what I'm looking for, but the exact numbers are:

d to galaxies = 2.19*10^24 m
    d between galaxies = 1.51*10^13 m
    R of one galaxy = ?

Thanks!
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Apr 7, 2008, 07:34 AM
    Dear 2xamp

Have a look at this link to Astronomy Notes. Also read the following pages there!

Success!
    As always : if you require more info, please let me know. If this solves your problem, please rate the answer provided! Feed back is always appreciated!
    ;
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Apr 7, 2008, 10:20 AM
    I'm afraid the data you've provided isn't sufficient. Perhaps if you posted a picture of the problem that would help. This seems like a trig question, so I would have expected some other data such as the angular separation of the two galaxies in question. Also, be clear as to whether the "distance between galaxies = 1.51 x 10^13 m" is measured center-to-center or edge-to-edge.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Measurement of a radius. [ 7 Answers ]

Suppose a chord in a circle is 80 centimeters long and it is 30cm from the center of the circle. How could I find the measurements of a radius of the circle.

A radius [ 24 Answers ]

Picture a chair back(bench) 50" wide,25" high(right now its square) I would like to build a radius approx. 2-3' drop on each end,using the full height in the center. Any ideas how I can make a flowing curve like this? Ken

Radius of chamber [ 1 Answers ]

At an amusement park there is a ride in which cylindrically shaped chambers spin around a central axis. People sit in seats facing the axis, their backs against the outer wall. At one instant the outer wall moves at a speed of 3.30 m/s, and an 80.3-kg person feels a 517-N force pressing against his...

Density, radius and g [ 9 Answers ]

The earth has density rho(p) and radius R. the gravitational field strength at the surface is g. what is the gfs at the surface of a planet of density 2p and radius 2R. A g B 2g C 4g D 16g what is the equation I would use to solve this

Radius for Arched Doorway [ 8 Answers ]

I am trying to properly lay out an arched doorway and can not seem to get this... what I do know is as follows.. the two side walls are 8'9" from the floor to the bottom point of the arch...from a center point between these two vertical lines taking a vertical measurement from the horizontal...

View more questions Search