Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kmbrly1111 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2006, 01:14 PM
    Hot tub electrical nightmare---help
    Does anyone know where I can find the code for wiring a hot tub in Reno, Nevada? I have an electrician taking advantage of the fact I know nothing about this topic & I could really use some help.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Feb 10, 2006, 01:41 PM
    First ask the contractor to show that he applied for and received a valid permit , as required by Las Vegas Ordinance #5527 Section 120-2 and 120-3, found here.

Then whether a permit exists or not, call (702) 229-6914 and invite the electrical inspector to review the installation, and he will straighten out the contractor.

There are many details to the code about hot tubs, can you get back with a specific question? To difficult to list all the code here.

Feb 10, 2006, 02:05 PM
    Thank you for the phone number! The guy said I couldn't run 50 amps through 8 gauge wire, only 30. Then he charges me almost $400. To do the job. My hot tub won't run on it & the spa guys said that the gfi should be somewhere else... I wish I knew more. When the electrician came back out he paid me the service charge the spa guys charged me because I only had 120 apms (?) instead of 240 running through. He said he made a mistake & now wants to charge me more to fix it.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Feb 10, 2006, 02:29 PM
    I found the number at the city website, about the best I can do, the website does not work as it appears to work.

As far as I know, all #8 copper cable, either Romex or MC contains THHN type insulation, which is rated to carry 50 Amp per the National Electric Code, and is commonly used for a 50 Amp circuit. The tag that comes with a fresh coil of these cables will tell what it is rated for. The city may amend and otherwise change the code as it sees fit. I did not review the entire ordinance,but they do adopt the NEC 2002 edition.

Need to know the type insulation of the wire you have.

If he used some sort of Aluminum cable/wire, then it is only good for 40 amps.

What do you mean by "the spa guys said that the gfi should be somewhere else...." .The GFI breaker can be at the main panel, or usually an outdoor kit furnished by the spa vendor, GFI breaker and rain tight box, which is mounted 5 foot away or more from the spa.

I an not sure but this you state"because I only had 120 apms (?) instead of 240 running thru. . I think you mean volts, the electrician only brought 120 volts to the tub, not the 240 volts , that almost every hot tub sold needs.

And he makes a mistake and you need to pay for it? You better not have this guy back until the his installation is checked. The best person for this is the inspector. If you know the electrician, be ready to irritate him because he may get in some trouble.

Too bad, if his work is not done properly, someone can get seriously injured, or worse. Ask the electrician to test his work and have him sit his a** in the tub full of water ,and let you throw the switch?

After you get this resolved with the inspector, and if he did not install correctly,as he admits, contact the agency that issued his license. They inspector can help you with this if real serious, he will do it himself, anyway. If he has a license, he must surrender it to who ever asks for it. Take his number and report him.

I am here in this forum trying to convince people to hire professional contractors, and there yahoos out there doing crap like this.

And how does he get away with making a mistake, admitting it, and be able to charge to fix it?

I hope you do not use the tub until you call someone in to check the work.

Hope this helps, get back with any other questions, and how you get this resolved.

Feb 14, 2006, 12:47 PM
    I just sent you an e-mail thanking you for everything & filling you in on the details, I hope you received it.

Thank you again!
    Kim
    JoeJ Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2013, 07:20 PM
    The National Electrical Code aka NFPA 70 the most recent is the 2011 edition.

Article # 680. The trouble is it is unreadable to most Lay people, The best thing you can do is get mutiple written quotes that include a description of what is included
    Parts and labor, Cost etc.

A good electrical contractor- would give you that if they are playing it straight.
    shuntripper Posts: 180, Reputation: 8

Jan 30, 2013, 07:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post

Article # 680. the trouble is it is unreadable to most Lay people, The best thing you can do is get mutiple written quotes that include a description of what is included
    Parts and labor, Cost etc.

A good electrical contractor- would give you that if they are playing it straight.
    Article 90.1(c)... This Code is not intended as a design specification or as an instruction manual for untrained persons.
    JoeJ Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2013, 07:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shuntripper View Post
    Article 90.1(c).........This Code is not intended as a design specification or as an instruction manual for untrained persons.

Also true article 90 NEC thanks I forgot about that.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Jan 30, 2013, 08:11 PM
    I don't think this applies since this thread was started in 2006. Lol

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A reading nightmare. [ 13 Answers ]

All of my life I have had a problem where reading was never a joy. I'v always had difficulty with reading, spelling and consontration. Now I'm almost 40 and my reading has never really improved since college. I've struggled with this all of my life, -thank god for spell check, which was not...

Probate Nightmare Can Anyone Help? [ 23 Answers ]

This is the latest of what seems to be a hundred letters I have written trying to get help, of which there seems to be none, all because it's a piddly civil matter, I am positive this goes on in every state in this country and something must be done. This has destroyed my family who are good...

Accounting nightmare [ 1 Answers ]

I am currently takinga home education course, and I am having problems with the accounting module. Is there anyone out there who might be able to provide me with some type of tutoring for manual accounting? Or does anyone know of any good web sites that explain the stuff in plain english? The...

Computer nightmare [ 5 Answers ]

I am an computer illiterate and I need some help. My computer will not let me open my IE or access My computer or My control panel... I have Windows XP. I tried to run Spider exe but nothing changed. Anyone have any thoughts? :confused:

The return of the nightmare! [ 6 Answers ]

!Hi guys, I'm new but with old problems. I got rid of DSO at long last ( ta alicka ) but I am getting heaps of rotten stuff in. I have the XP,s firewalls up, Norton Internet Security/ Anti Virus, Spybot and Adware. I still get Pos Browser hijacking and CoolWeb Search, WebDialer and some pop ups....

View more questions Search