Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mike1960 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2006, 12:01 PM
    Buzzing from air handler
    Hi,
    Hoping for info concerning a buzzing sound coming from air handler.
    We live in a high-rise building(24 floors). We are on a building wide system with air handlers in each room.
    Small bedroom unit has history about this time each year(last 5) that start buzzing. Past years maintenance would come up said replace "RELAY" and it's cured until next major season change.
    Building last year underwent new management and maintenance men.
    They monkeied with unit for several weeks. Changed thermostat 3 times, put a switch on bedroom wall cause after changing thermostat the unit won't shut off no matter what thermostat is set at.
    Last Friday buzzing started again. As a rule it takes several complaints and couple weeks before new maintenance comes to check any complaint for repairs.
    Past years could just flip breaker off and noise stopped. Now doing this does no good. It contuies to buzz.
    Anyone have idea what is wrong cause this buzzing is getting very old.
    Thanks in advance for any info.
    Later,
    Mike
    jpeepaul Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2006, 11:40 AM
    Yes sounds like your former maintenance men had a little expeirence with the problem. Your system probably has a solnoid valve that is being controlled by a low voltage relay that has a set of low voltage and high voltage contacts on it. I working in this field have come across this and put a small layer of insulating tape under relay this helps with the noise from the relay contcts chattering... otherwise your maintenance men must put the correct rated relay in for that perticular airhandler, try the insulation first, good luck zoning systems can be fun I know I work on some of the best...
    mike1960 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2006, 03:48 PM
    Hi,
    Thanks for info. Yesterday afternoon we bypassed normal filing request for repairs. Called ask for appointment with manager. She had maintenance up about 20 minutes. Seems you must know your stuff. The "relay" thingie that connects each air andler with building's fire alarm and shut off system was bad. The guy that came this time seemed to know more than last one. After I explained what was going on he left and came back with the repay before ever opening access panel.
    Manager gave us some good news though. Said due to complaints and poor work she was replacing new maintenance chief with one before they bought the property, effective next Monday
    We had several items that had not been done. Seems the new kitchen tile we ask for last summer she had approved and didn't know why it had not been installed yet. Or about our carpet still had not been cleaned after a water line break 2 months ago.
    Thanks,
    Mike

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Buzzing lights II [ 6 Answers ]

I have sconce lights on a dimmer and, when I dim the lights, they start to buzz. I have the same problem with my kitchen light. I have tried changing dimmers, and using rough service bulbs and still the problem persists. Someone suggested halogina light bulbs. Would they work? Where do you buy...

Buzzing Defrost Relay on Trane Unit [ 1 Answers ]

My Trane unit, VR724E100A0 has been giving be trouble. The fan wouldn't hardly run and I was hearing a faint buzzing noise. It would act like it was trying to run, then slow down, speed up, repeat & finally stop. Turning by hand didn't help. I installed a new run capicator for fan and the fan...

AC Buzzing noise [ 1 Answers ]

My 2-yr old 12,000 BTU Friedrich wall AC unit started making a very loud buzzing noise recently. The noise does not occur in the "fan-only" mode, but starts about 1 minute after the AC is turned on. The noise is louder inside the house than outside the house, and seems more "electrical" in nature...

Dimmer buzzing [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know why wall dimmers for incandescent lights buzz? I have had some that buzz and some that don't. If the light buzzes, changing the dimmer doesn't seem to help. The buzz is very annoying!

Buzzing Central Air [ 1 Answers ]

My central air when cut on makes a buzzing noise and no air is flowing. I checked the fan and it is blowing. ANy ideas? Please help? Thanks

View more questions Search