Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rafaellachuahy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2008, 05:39 PM
    Green card holder married to a non-resident
    Hi all,

I am doing my mother's taxes. She is a Green Card holder and lives here. My dad does NOT have a green card and lives down in Brazil. However, legally, they are still married. When I try to file in Turbo Tax and check my mother as married, the software askes for my dad's social security. Of course, he does not have one. What should I do? Should I file her as single or legally separated?

Thanks,
    Rafaella
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Apr 7, 2008, 06:52 AM
    Your mother can file resident return as Married Filing Jointly or Separately. In both the cases she needs her spouses SSN or ITIN.
    The best option is to file resident return as Married Filing Jointly and attach W7 (ITIN) application of spouse.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Obtaining us passport for green card holder [ 17 Answers ]

I've search and haven't found anything. I'm a non us citizen but a green card holder, how do I obtain a us passport besides becoming a us citizen. Going to travel to japan soon and I won't have enough time 2 become a us citizen. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Citizen married 01/07 to former H1-B, now Green Card holder. 1040? [ 6 Answers ]

Hi – really straightforward question from a newbie. I am a US citizen (born here). Got married in 01/07 (our first anniversary is Sunday!). My husband was a H1-B holder at the time of our marriage. He had been in the US for 9 years (grad school + 5+ years of an H1-B). Never left the country. ...

H1B status after married green card holder [ 1 Answers ]

My H1B visa will expire in 2010. I plan to marry with 2-year-green card holder. Will I get green card too? How long does it take? And if I quit my job after I married, am I still legel to stay in US? Can I go out of US and come back? Give me some advise pleassssssse

Can a green card holder claim a tax treaty benefit for a fellowship? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am a German citizen who came to the US in Dec 2006 on a green card that I won in the diversity lottery. I have been working here as a postdoctoral researcher since January 2007. My only source of income is a fellowship from a german research foundation. Can I still claim the tax treaty...

Green card holder travelling [ 1 Answers ]

I am an Australian living in USA. I am also a green card holder. I want to travel to Vietnam by the end of this year. Should I use my Australian Passport or I have to use my green card with re-entry permit ? Thank you for your answer.

View more questions Search