Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Debbiekirkham Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2008, 08:49 AM
    Abscess on Baby Tooth
    My baby who is 2 years old in June has an abscess on his front tooth and I am worried about how the dentist can do anything with this tooth as he doesn't like anyone looking in his mouth. He just keeps prescribing antibiotics and he has had 3 lots at present. I think the abscess is due to blackcurrant juice being drunk from his baby bottle for comfort.
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Apr 6, 2008, 09:07 AM
    Firstly, the ONLY liquid in the bottle has to be water. That tooth has to be removed before it affects the adult tooth below or infection spreads to teeth on either side.

You need to find a pediatric dentist. Your 2 year old may have to go under general anaesthetic to have the tooth removed. If one tooth has been affected by the juice there are probably others. The pediatric dentist can take x-rays and fix any other teeth while your little one is under general so all can be done in one visit.

I hope you are brushing your little one's teeth every day. The more YOU brush his teeth the easier it is for a dental professional to take a look as he is used to someone else working in his mouth.

He may not want anyone looking right now because it hurts.
    Debbiekirkham Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2008, 09:39 AM
    I do try everyday to brush his teeth but we end up fighting and he just ends up crying. The dentist can't really look in his mouth to see what's going on.
    Ultra Member

Apr 6, 2008, 10:47 AM
    It's something that has to be done. He has to learn that it's part of his daily routine. Believe me it is worth it in the long run. Have you taken him to a pedodontist?
    daya78 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2008, 08:36 PM
    It is very difficult to treat a 2 year old.. when you are brushing make your child also brush his teeth. Children will always try to imitate parents.. try to crete interest to do it..
    The decay which your son has is called feeding bottle caries.. there maybe many tooth effected.. you should not leave sweetened drinks in mouth when he sleeps.. sweetened drinks will stagnate in mouth while he is sleeping and cause tooth decay.
    Consult a dentist and discuss with him about treatment... there may be many tooth effected.. you will have to fill the other ones..

Apr 6, 2008, 08:41 PM
    If you are giving him any sweetened drinks in feeding bottle, give water after that.. so that it flushes away the drink previously taken.. and don't give sweetened drinks when he is going to sleep..
    Ultra Member

Apr 7, 2008, 03:50 AM
    Debbie,

Please be aware that children do not have the manual dexterity to do a good job brushing their own teeth. They need parental help for a few years, girls until they are 9 or 10 and boys until they are 11 or 12.

Anything sweet you give your child can cause decay but decay at the front of the mouth is usually caused by juice or milk in a bottle. It's worse at sleep time because the liquid does pool in the mouth and if the teeth haven't been brushed, bacteria is left behind. The sugar in the milk or juice react with the bacteria left on the teeth which causes acid which eats holes in the teeth. Like I mentioned earlier, water is the best. You might have to "trick" your son by adding 1oz of juice to 7 oz of water to wean him off. Sometimes it's just the colour they are looking for.

Breads, cereal, cookies, jams, catsup(ketchup for you Americans) are loaded with hidden sugars. Plus breads and cereals are sticky and will remain on the biting surfaces of teeth well after the meal is over. Here again, they break down into carbohydrates (sugar) and cause decay. Remember, raisins are one of the WORST treats to give a child.

Please ask your dentist for a referral to a pediatric dentist before your little one runs into more trouble. Antibiotics cannot be used long term for this.

Apr 7, 2008, 07:41 PM
    You can create interest for brushing by giving him brush with some animals or cartoons in handle, making himwatch while you are brushing etc. teeth should be brushed at least twice a day.. reduce usage of sticky foods like chocalates and all. Dentists prescribe fluride mouth rinses and tablets to reduce caries . U can discuss with your dentist about it.. and he will prescribe taking into consideration of your sons age and weight

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tooth abscess [ 5 Answers ]

Hi: I have a tooth abscess that I accidentally discovered was draining pus. I do not have any pain, but seems to be old draining abscess. What should I do??

Tooth abscess. [ 19 Answers ]

I recently had a crown come out and had to go to the dentist to have it put back on. The dentist took an x-ray and told me I had some infection in that tooth and I'd need a root canal. I was started on antibiotics yesterday and a few hours after seeing the dentist my tooth started hurting. It's...

Can tooth abscess cause stomach ache or pain [ 2 Answers ]

I have an abscess tooth with draining out of my inside gum into my mouth. After having the abscess, with very little pain so I did not know it was an abscess, I started to get a stomach ache especially at night. I am going to the dentist Tuesday for a root cannel fix and re application. Does...

Tooth Abscess [ 1 Answers ]

How Do I Ease Pain Of A Tooth Abscess,taking Painkillers And Antibiotics, But Still Hurts Like Hell.

Puppy's Baby Tooth Question [ 2 Answers ]

Hi - I just heard my five-month-old daschund crying, and I checked to see what was wrong.  He was playing with a toy and apparently pulled a tooth out.  I found the little tooth, and it had blood on it.  I checked his mouth, and it's one of his front bottom bicuspids.  It's a little sharp one....

View more questions Search