Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 6, 2008, 08:37 AM
    Wallpaper removal from plaster wall
    Hi guys, I mastered the art of wallpaper removal from my bedroom walls and actually enjoyed the process. I have now developed a tried and true system and if anyone wants to know PM me and I will explain.

Now, the toughy. I have to remove wallpaper from my frontroom walls and the wallpaper is on plaster which melts and gouges when I wet it down and try to remove it. Is there any less damaging way to do this without having to replaster after I am done?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Apr 6, 2008, 08:44 AM
    I've never known moisture to desolve plaster. Could it be that drywall joint compound was applied to the walls and left unpainted to smooth out the plaster wall prior to wall papering.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 6, 2008, 02:36 PM
    I don't know, the house as I said was built in the 40s. I am only assuming that is what it is from my first attempt. Some of the gouges I made were only made because the surface was soft. So,?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Apr 6, 2008, 05:56 PM
    Well I guess you ae going to have to wet and pull the paper off and hope for the best. If the moisture is softening the wall surface there should be much scraping required.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Removal of old plaster wall [ 4 Answers ]

I hope this is the right place to post this. I have a house built in 1921, therefore the walls are all plaster and lathe. I have a little chimney that handles the exhaust from the heating system in the basement, and it runs the length of the house and up through the roof as per usual. The chimney...

Wallpaper removal [ 2 Answers ]

I've recently removed vinyl wallpaper from my kitchen walls. It all came off beautifully, but now the walls feel bumpy from what I assume is the glue. I've tried to wash it off, but it just feels slick and sticky and dries bumpy again. Any suggestions? grace1

Taking wallpaper off where no plaster is underneath [ 1 Answers ]

Can I remove the top layer of wallpaper only if it is not vinyl paper. I don't think the wall has ever been plastered, just plasterboard underneath and I don't want to have to plaster?

Wallpaper removal [ 1 Answers ]

What is a reasonable price to charge for wallpaper removal in a kitchen? The wallpaper is on the ceiling also. Location is in Queens, new York

Wallpaper removal [ 1 Answers ]

I am removing old wallpaper in my kitchen. I have peeled a layer of wallpaper off & it came of easily, but I can see a faint floral pattern & am thinking this is another layer of wallpaper. When I try to remove this, I am seeing a green wall, but some of the sheet rock is peeling off too. How do I...

View more questions Search