Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    soonerfootball Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2008, 10:22 PM
    Converting a tile floor to a stained concrete floor
    I am thinking about taking up the tile in my kitchen and staining the concrete underneath it, but I don't know if it will be possible to get up all the stains left on the concrete from the tile. I do not want to take up the tile if there is too much of a possibility that the tile stains won't come up or that the concrete stain won't cover it up.
    amricca Posts: 851, Reputation: 92

Apr 7, 2008, 08:50 AM
    It will take some work to get the concrete is good shape for staining. I have tile on concrete and the morter was really tough to get up as the concrete was not sealed before it was tiled.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 7, 2008, 11:10 AM
    I am unsure about your tile, ceramic or is it vinyl? If you wanted to do this job you would need to have the cement floor sanded with a floor grinder. Do not expect to pop the tiles and stain the old floor, its not that simple.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shower floor tile over concrete [ 1 Answers ]

I am installing a new shower in my basement. It has a concrete subfloor and the drain is roughed in for a tub. I am installing ceramic tile on the floor and walls. I have three questions. First, at what height do I install the drain if I do not know the finished height of the tile? Second,...

Tile to carpet transition - concrete floor. [ 3 Answers ]

I will be tiling in my basement, on a concrete floor. Would it be better to install backerboard under the tile to bring it up 1/4" or 1/2" to make the carpet/tile transition easier? Or should I lay tile on concrete floor and then transition it from that height? Any suggestions would be helpful. ...

Ceramic tile shower pan on concrete floor [ 1 Answers ]

Do I need to do anything special like I would if it was on a wooden floor on this new shower I want to build in my basement. I am tiling the floor and 2 walls... neo-angle style.. The drain is 12 inchesfrom each of the back walls... this is my first foray into the HELP DESK... I searched awhile but...

Floor Tile, Concrete floor is sealed. [ 1 Answers ]

I want to replace carpet with tile on concrete floor but concrete is sealed with some coating. Do I have to prime this or remove sealant?

Removing Hardset Tile Mastic from Concrete Floor [ 1 Answers ]

I need to remove a hardset ( not glue type) mastic from a large area of concrete floor. The mastic is almost as hard as the concrete and must be ground down in order to lay carpet. I am currently using a floor belt sander with hardest grade paper. It's moving at just about a snails pace. Is...

View more questions Search