Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mkelly123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2008, 06:32 PM
    Paying bills after dying
    My brother died without a will. He has a simple estate, valued less than $15000.00. He also has about $25,000.00 in equity in his home, which will be sold. He had some hospital bills, and owed about $7000.00 in overdraft protection on his checking account. Is he responsible for repaying out of his equity the overdraft charges on his checking account? Thanks for you help. He lived in Virginia, if that makes a difference.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 5, 2008, 07:31 PM
    Who ever is the execitor of the estate will pay all of the bills, from the estate, over see the selling of the property and then pay out any money left to the heirs. But yes all of the persons bills will have to be paid.
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Apr 5, 2008, 08:43 PM
    His estate will be administered. Part of the process is notifying creditors to file a claim with the probate court or administrator; this is usually done in the legal organ (paper) in the county where he resided. The administrator will pay creditors at the appropriate time by law or as ordered by the probate court.
    maligreg00 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Jun 5, 2008, 09:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mkelly123
    My brother died without a will. He has a simple estate, valued less than $15000.00. He also has about $25,000.00 in equity in his home, which will be sold. He had some hospital bills, and owed about $7000.00 in overdraft protection on his checking account. Is he responsible for repaying out of his equity the overdraft charges on his checking account? Thanks for you help. He lived in Virginia, if that makes a difference.
    The person responsible for the arrangements without a will is the one who is considered next of kin. It goes in order
    FATHER
    MOTHER
    BROTHER
    SISTER

All bills left by the decedent have to be paid by the estate. The bill companies will find out because deaths are usually posted and they can request a copy of the death certificate
    mepk5 Posts: 371, Reputation: 6

Aug 24, 2008, 10:56 PM
    I know some people that got around paying the bills.
    If they r not working don't have a spouse.
    Creditors will go after the person on the death certificate ususall next of kin.
    If its not a spouse they can't sue or MAKE anyone pay his bills. They will harass uNEXT of kin for a while.
    They creditors don't want to but they know they can write off bills etc.
    I sound ;ike a crook huh? Well... pm me & I will give u indept details.I've been through it

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Value of $1, $2, and $5 bills [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, recently we came into some old currency left by a family member. I've tried looking every where and it seems I can't find nothing. Does any one know a site I can go to online where I can maybe enter the serial number of the currency?

1-2$ bills? [ 1 Answers ]

I also have some red letter 2$ bills with low years. And I have some silver 1$ bills with pretty low serial number on it, the only prob with that one is someone prior wrote thew number 14 on it in pen, not that big though... any suggestions on were to start.. I can't figure out the books, how about...

HUGE heating bills, VERY LOW cooling bills [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, first timer here. I bought this 43-year-old house last October, app 2000 sq ft, trilevel (main living level, 2 BR/bath up 7 stairs, 2 more BR/bath up 7 more stairs on top level). My heating bills last winter (2 year old Lennox AA600 80% efficiency furnace) were really high, around $300 per...

Paying medical bills [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I need help with my medical bills. My husband had to have surgery but we were in between insurances. We do have it now. There are the hospital plus doctor and anesthesiologist and others and its over 50,0000 and its killing us with the other household bills. Were starting to fall behind on...

Paying bills [ 1 Answers ]

Hey can they trun my hydro off if I am making pay ments?

View more questions Search