Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    usmountainrunne Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2008, 06:28 PM
    Brother wishes to sell his shares in inheritance
    I am a benificiary of 1/7 share of 120 acres which is currently being sold to pay off estate debts and then benificiaries.

Problem:

My 2nd oldest brother wishes to sell his portion for $5000 which is a substantial less amount than his share is worth. He needs the money now and is willing to forfeit the loss.

Can my brother sell his 1/7 share for $5,000.

Is this legal and how do I make it legally binding. I do not trust my brother for the money.

The 1/7 share could be worth between 15k - 25k.
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Apr 5, 2008, 06:42 PM
    Have a lawyer draw up a contract for you in which he gives you his share or future rights to the land if you are buying it from him. I don't see why it wouldn't be legal. You'll want to make sure about tax consequences involved because you might end up with some serious capital gains consequences. Not sure how that will work... if your basis would be the price you buy if from him at, or the value at time of inheritance. Right now, it seems like you are buying his inheritance rights, and possibly that will make a difference. I would certainly want to get a good tax accountant and legal advice on the matter.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 5, 2008, 07:28 PM
    He should be able to, but then the buyer takes a risk if there were more debts than known, it could end up being less.
    But if you want to buy it, at this point, you can
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Apr 5, 2008, 07:44 PM
    Some issues depend on the state you are in. I am an accountant in Indiana and before I can give you a super detailed answer there are a few more things I would need to know such as how much more debt the estate has to pay out and a few other details. However assuming that any outstanding debts of the deceased have been met and all the beneficiaries will get the full amount they were left, I can tell you this much... people can sell anything for anyamount no matter how silly if he said he only wanted one thousand it could be contracted out for that amount. You really need to contact your lawyer's office to have a contract written up (just to cover your behind) but yes you can buy it for that much. If you need more information just let me know and I'll be happy to do what I can.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 6, 2008, 06:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by usmountainrunne
    I am a benificiary of 1/7 share of 120 acres which is currently being sold to pay off estate debts and then benificiaries.

Problem:

My 2nd oldest brother wishes to sell his portion for $5000 which is a substantial less amount than his share is worth. He needs the money now and is willing to forfeit the loss.

Is this legal and how do i make it legally binding. I do not trust my brother for the money.

The 1/7 share could be worth between 15k - 25k.

"Assuming" the estate is still in probate - and it appears it is - in NYS, at least, no one can sell anything because everything is frozen until the estate is settled in order to guarantee sufficient funds to pay estate debts and taxes and specific bequests.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 6, 2008, 07:02 AM
    Actually no he can't because it's a joint sale and he has to go through with it. His interest is only 1/7 so unless the others agree or you get together and buy him out then he is stuck with it till its over. That may sound harsh but all of you have a stake in the money that's coming from the sale and for him to short sale like that would affect the interest that all of you have. Now if the rest of you want to buy him out and all agree then it can be done because the sale wouldn't effect the end profit.
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Apr 6, 2008, 07:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3
    Actually no he can't because its a joint sale and he has to go through with it. His interest is only 1/7 so unless the others agree or you get together and buy him out then he is stuck with it till its over. That may sound harsh but all of you have a stake in the money thats coming from the sale and for him to short sale like that would affect the interest that all of you have. Now if the rest of you want to buy him out and all agree then it can be done because the sale wouldnt effect the end profit.
    And, in my opinion, if you do decide to buy him out, I'd buy him out for the reasonable amount of what he would be entitled to under the will, not what he's asking for. That would stop a lot of hurt feelings later, plus any potential lawsuits from him feeling "cheated" later on.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 6, 2008, 08:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by usmountainrunne
    Hello u:

He owns an asset. Of course, he can sell it, as long as it's properly done. Yes, there's risk to both the buyer and seller. So?

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 6, 2008, 08:25 AM
    Some conflicting advice here. Unfortunately, califdad3 is incorrect and while Judy is technically correct, it can still be done.

As excon said he owns an asset and any asset can be disposed of barring encumbrances. If the will is still in probate, then the deed cannot be changed, but that doesn't preclude drawing up a contract stating that his interest is being sold to whomever. This actually happens somewhat frequently. Beneficiares will sell their interest in an estate for a discounted amount.

As long as a legal contract is drawn up, there should be no problem.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 6, 2008, 08:36 AM
    Hello again:

I should have expounded. Fortunately, I've got Scott to back me up.

This transaction would be similar to the ones you see advertised on TV for companies like Peach Tree Funding. These companies buy long term income instruments like annuities and judgments that are paid out over the years.

Yes, they're sold at huge discounts and there are risks to both sides.

excon
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Apr 6, 2008, 11:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    Some conflicting advice here. Unfortunately, califdad3 is incorrect and while Judy is technically correct, it can still be done.

. . . This actually happens somewhat frequently. Beneficiares will sell their interest in an estate for a discounted amount.

As long as a legal contract is drawn up, there should be no problem.
    I agree with Scott and ex con.

I think califdad3 misunderstood the question. (I think califdad3 thought that the brother wanted to sell his share of the property, not his share of his inheritance.)

And yes the contract clearly needs to be airtight to prevent the brother from claiming his share in addition to the $5000.

However, I would consider adding a clause that gives the brother some additional sum if his share turns out to be a lot more than $5000. You could deduct interest from the difference or discount it, but, in any case, voluntarily reduce the difference between the $5000 and the final amount so as to minimize bad feelings later. A lawyer could help you think this through and get the wording right.

Asking

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I live in house father owned, brother wants to sell, I don't. [ 1 Answers ]

Ok, my father passed away with no will. My brother and I are the sole heirs. I live in my fathers house and have for the past 9 years. If I do not want to sell, and my brother does, and I cannot afford to move what happens? What if I do not have the money to buy my brother out? I have an elderly...

New Year Wishes [ 9 Answers ]

Hi Folks, It's been a long hard year... and it is ending. Let us all hope that with some warmth, peace, health and love - we all have a better one coming up. So... HAPPY NEW YEAR! http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/8/8_6_7.gif http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_15_26.gif ...

Can my ex-sister in law force my brother to sell? [ 6 Answers ]

Ok.. first off he lives in PA... 2nd... his wife ran off with another man, leavng him to fend for himself with the mortgae and all sorts of bills. Well after 5yrs of him living there and paying off the past debt and keeping up with the mortgage payment( albeit with help of a live in girlfriend...

Shares applied for and shares alloted [ 2 Answers ]

I am a bit confused - the following is a question in my assignment: Xx Ltd was registered on 1 Jan with a capital of R80 000, divided into 10 000 5% preff shares @ R2.00 each, and 30 000 ordinary shares of R2.00 each. Preff shares were fully subscribed and duly allotted, but only 25 000 ordinary...

Final wishes [ 18 Answers ]

My mom is elderly, 87yrs old. Her final request is that her house and property be sold and divided equally among the surviving children and one son in law. There has been a paper drawn and notorized expressing her final wishes. Here is the dilema. My sister and brother in laws names are on the...

View more questions Search