Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dla161823 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2008, 05:25 PM
    Nursing Care Plan Priority
    Can someone please tell me what exactly would be the nursing care plan priorities. Different documentation tells me different priorities.
    Thanks.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 5, 2008, 05:28 PM
    It all depends on the medical diagnosis of your patient. I just got done with my care plan myself. LOL. Only 2 more to do until graduation. I need some more info about your patient to be able to help you.
    Expert

Apr 5, 2008, 05:42 PM
    They are the priorities of care of your patient throughout your clinical day.

Apr 5, 2008, 05:50 PM
    The eight problems I have listed (in no prioritized order) are:

Pressure sores (redness to spine area)
    Constipation
    Diabetes
    Pain
    Risk for infection post-operatively
    Confusion
    At risk for falling
    Loss of appetite

My patient had a total hip replacement, 79/F. Medicated with Morphine, anemic, hx of breast cancer/mastectomy, right hip prothesis, HTN, A-Fib, among others.
    Expert

Apr 5, 2008, 06:24 PM
    Well, which one would you like to use for your care plan?

Pressure sores would be a care plan with a nursing diagnosis of Risk for infection r/t skin breakdown

Constipation would be Constipation r/t decreased fluid intake

ETC...

Each one of these can be a nursing care plan. You can't make a nursing care plan and include ALL of these.

Tell me which one you want to use as your care plan and I'll help you formulate it. But you have just named 8 total and separate care plans here.

Apr 5, 2008, 06:30 PM
    Yes, I listed 8 problems. For my project, I need 8 problems, a nursing diagnosis for each, and 2 out of the top 4 priority problems/diagnosis will need to be part of my care plan, i.e objective/subjective data, short term/long term goals, each of the two with 6 nursing interventions along with an evaluation statement for each goal statement.
    Expert

Apr 5, 2008, 07:06 PM
    Ahhh, you are just starting nursing school?

So, do you understand how to get the nursing diagnosis for each?

When you are prioritizing you must remember your ABCs. Airway, Breathing, Circulation. Those three will always be your priorities.

Remember, when doing your assessment column to include the admission data.

Apr 5, 2008, 07:22 PM
    Gee, I guess it's obvious. Yes, I know how to the nursing diagnosis. Thanks for your input.
    Expert

Apr 5, 2008, 07:25 PM
    Look, no reason to be rude. I did not know you knew how to do a care plan.

I don't know where you are in school, this could be your first care plan for all I know.

I'm willing to help as I am almost done with school and will never do a care plan again.

I was only trying to get some feedback so that I know where you are in school and with your care plans.

Apr 5, 2008, 07:33 PM
    I'm sorry if you mistook my answer for being "rude". I was only answering your question. And yes, as I read my questions, it IS obvious that I am new at this, and was just making/confirming your observation. There is no rude intent in my response. Again, I thank you for your input.
    Expert

Apr 5, 2008, 07:36 PM
    I apologize too if I misunderstood you.

Now, can you tell me how you think you prioritize? Then I'll guide you in the right direction.

I absolutely DESPISE care plans and would love to help others get through them. You know, we don't need them in the hospital setting. LOL

Unfortunately, as much as I hate them, I am good at them. Now, look at your admitting diagnosis in order to begin prioritizing. Also, remember, when you are prioritizing that you will be doing so in the order of the care you will be giving, or have given your patient.

Apr 5, 2008, 07:44 PM
    Admitting diagnosis is: Left hip fracture. She came into the hospital with the fracture, and had a total left hip replacement.

I prioritized the above stated "problems" as follows:

1) Pain
    2) pressure sores
    3) constipation
    4) confusion
    5) Diabetes (which is being properly maintained)
    6) loss of appetite
    7) "risk" for infection
    8) "risk" for fall

Although the last two are important, they are not actual diagnosis, but are risks.
    I then had to choose two of the top four to concentrate on for the rest of the project information. I chose pressure sores and confusion. What do you think?

Is the priorities messed up, or are they good the way they are?
    Expert

Apr 6, 2008, 04:36 PM
    That's good. Though I don't know if I would put the pain above the pressure sores. Also, consider the confusion. Could it be caused by meds? Diabetes (remember you can't call it diabetes in a care plan, that's a medical diagnosis) is more important than constipation?

Think about it, whenever a body is under stress, particularly diabetics, their need for insulin increases as a stress response.

Apr 6, 2008, 05:10 PM
    Your last response was really helpful. Thanks for helping me prioritize. I know that a lot of the problems are related. The patient has an extensive history. Thanks for your help.
    Expert

Apr 6, 2008, 05:23 PM
    Oh, tell me about extensive history, LOL. I just had a patient in ICU. Wait till you get there.

Just keep in mind that sometimes, like diabetes, there are priorities that don't actually deal with the actual diabetic diagnosis.

Did you know that when gunshot victims come into our ER, they get a shot of insulin if they are diabetic or not? You see, priorities can run a whole lot deeper than we see on the surface.

Just remember it'll all be over soon. ;-)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Nursing care plan with priority nursing dx [ 1 Answers ]

I need a priority nursing diagnosis from the nanda list for this patient. Patient c 92 yr old fell medical dx of C4 fracture and patient has a possible broken arm that patient can not move. Weight 75lbs.has neck immobilizer on, foley cat in, IV in with ns @ 75 cc/hr. on bed rest total care patient....

Setting up a Nursing/home care agency in the UK [ 1 Answers ]

How do I set up a Nursing/home care agency in the UK? Which institutions do I ge to for assistance

Assets considered for payment of nursing home care [ 3 Answers ]

Last December, I loaned my mother money to purchase a co-op share in Florida. We put the share in her name. My mother has recently taken sick and will need nursing home care. At the time of the loan, we did a 7% note from her payable to me and had it notorized at a bank. According to the...

Nursing care plan (prenatal) [ 2 Answers ]

Hello: I was assigned to do a nursing care plan on a patient (I am a student nurse) who would like to take a regular vitamin rather than a vitamin that includes folic acid. I have 2 care plan books & none seem to have any supporting evidence of any good nursing diagnoses or plans of care in this...

View more questions Search