Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Apr 5, 2008, 01:28 PM
    Enforcing child support from foreign country
    In case the father is US citizen, and legally married in foreign country for 5 years. After the divorce, mother got court order for child support, but the father left the country and returned to California.

Is it possible to enforce child support order from foreign country?

If yes, what is the procedure?
    If family law attorney is needed, what is the approx. fee?

Thank you.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 4, 2008, 01:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lawanwadee
    In case the father is US citizen, and legally married in foreign country for 5 years. After the divorce, mother got court order for child support, but the father left the country and returned to California.

Is it possible to enforce child support order from foreign country?

If yes, what is the procedure?
    If family law attorney is needed, what is the approx. fee?

Thank you.

Just realized no one had answered - I saw something same/similar in Court last week. Mother in another Country hired Attorney in NYS (where father now resides), he presented Order to Court, Court validated (I guess that's the word) the Order, and NYS Support Order issued on same terms, no trial, no new evidence. One of the questions was if both parties had appeared originally - and they had - or if this was a default decision.

Father WAS given notice but did not appear - it was more of a transfer of an existing Order. I asked about it and was told father had the option of asking for a reduction or termination - but everyone seemed to agree he would have to go back to original Ordering Country. Don't think there was a firm decision on that part.

I have no idea what Attorneys would charge - probably an hourly, don't know fees in other parts of the Country.

An Attorney might take such a matter on a flat retainer rather than an hourly.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 4, 2008, 05:50 PM
    Judy answered your question very well, and I am sorry it took a while to get an answer to you. As noted it should be possible but you will have to take your current order back to court here.
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

May 6, 2008, 12:57 AM
    Thank you...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child support father left country [ 2 Answers ]

Hello out here My ex husband has left the country he has both a Canadian and Hungarian passport Has anyone had to deal with getting a spouse back into the country to pay support also can anyone give me a good website to report all his info to catch him as a deadbeat dad especially anything in...

Primary Residence in Foreign Country [ 1 Answers ]

If your primary residence is outside the United States (Sweden), and you pay U.S. income taxes, is the interest on the mortgage deductible? Seaman in internaltion waters.

How can we file child support if we are on different country? [ 1 Answers ]

Can you help me? I'm looking for the father of my step sister. He was working as a US Navy based in Japan when he got my mom pregnant. They were planning to get married so he fixed his retirement and went to US to process their fiancée visa. We received a call that we need to get him in Philippine...

Inheritance From Foreign Country [ 1 Answers ]

Long, lost family member died in 2002 in Malaysia. I am sole surviving heir. After paying for services rendered in Malaysia for transferring the estate to me, my net gain expected to be $1.4MM. Since only $1MM is excluded from inheritance or income taxes on deaths occurring in 2002, what...

View more questions Search