Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vamshikrishna Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2006, 10:40 PM
    Help me---ora12560 tns protocol error
    Hi every one am facing some problem regarding oracle 9i I have installed it on my PC with os xp and whenever I log in with 'scott" and "tiger" I get the error ora-12560 tns protocol error can some one please help me regarding this.
    Also I have tried editing tnsname.ora but I could hardly understand what it was meant to be since am a newbie. It would be if someone can help me
    Thanks... :confused:
    mnhk2006 Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2006, 11:10 PM
    Since Oracle 9i is a networking component, you need to provide the database name in the HOST STRING entry. It is nothing but the database name what you created at the time of installation. Try with this. This may solve your problem
    m89 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2007, 09:02 AM
    go to cmd prompt

type

c:\set ORACLE_SID=(ur database name)

conn system/(urpassowrd)@dbname

hopefully it should work
    gautam1978 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2007, 02:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by vamshikrishna
    hi every one am facing some problem regarding oracle 9i i have installed it on my pc with os xp and whenever i log in with 'scott" and "tiger" i get the error ora-12560 tns protocol error can some one please help me regarding this.
    Also i have tried editing tnsname.ora but i could hardly understand what it was meant to be since am a newbie. It would be if someone can help me
    thnx....... :confused:
    Dear chek the tnsname.ora file it resides in your system in ora92\network\admin
    If this file contains your DB name entry then check in the services that you listener is running or not check it and revert back
    DBA Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 15, 2008, 09:00 AM
    Check addresses used for proper protocol specification.
    Before reporting this error, look at the error stack and check for lower level transport errors.
    For further details, turn on tracing and reexecute the operation.
    Turn off tracing when the operation is complete.

If you want to query other oracle errors, Oracle Errors and DBA Tips may help you.
    ordba Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Dec 15, 2008, 10:13 PM

What tool are you using ? SQL*Plus or something else ?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to fix this error... [ 17 Answers ]

Well its about outlook express... every time I open it there's an error show here it is: :confused: The host 'SMTP' could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the server name correctly. Account: 'POP3', Server: 'SMTP', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error:...

TCP UDP protocol [ 3 Answers ]

What is the different between the two above protocol and when and in what (standard) we base to assign the port

Dns Error [ 1 Answers ]

Ran Adaware On Xp With Service Pack 2. Quarantined Some 650 Files And Now Have No Internet Connection.seems Like It Should Work Still But Doesn't Until I Restore The Files... help Please. Im Not Very Computer Iliterate. Thanks.

Vxd error - win me os [ 3 Answers ]

Windows ME refuse to startup on a friend's system. It sticks with this error message: An exception 0E has occurred at 0028:C004C715 in VXD VFAT (01)*000025. This was called from 0028:C182A5C0 in VXD voltrack (04)*00000430 It may be possible to continue normally. Well it doesn't continue...

View more questions Search