Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ltjammer Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2008, 10:58 AM
    Does replacing outside A/C unit require replacing inside unit
    I have a 10 year old 10SEER Trane outside and inside unit. The coil is leaking freon in a few spots. The first technician gave me a quote to replace the outside and inside air handler with a 13SEER for around $4800. The second technician I called came out and suggested only replacing the outside unit with a 13SEER for $2000. He told me that the new outside unit would work with the inside unit.

Out of the 8 quotes I received, only two recommended only replacing the outside unit. Is there a reason I should replace both?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Apr 5, 2008, 02:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ltjammer
    I have a 10 year old 10SEER Trane outside and inside unit. The coil is leaking freon in a few spots. The first technician gave me a quote to replace the outside and inside air handler with a 13SEER for around $4800. The second technician I called came out and suggested only replacing the outside unit with a 13SEER for $2000. He told me that the new outside unit would work with the inside unit.

Out of the 8 quotes I received, only two recommended only replacing the outside unit. Is there a reason I should replace both?
    Replace both.

While it can be made to work they would have to add a expansion valve and then it will still cost more in energy usage. All systems sold today must be 13 SEER or higher and using the old coil it will not make the 13 SEER level. Anyone who recommends not replacing the inside coil is doing you a disservice and should not be considered for your job. Demand a quality job and get what you are paying for. A old coil that has been used for years is probably dirty as in restricted,the condensate pan is probably rusting out, and will not really perform correctly with the new unit. Important note: The line set (copper lines that connect the inside to outside) should also be replaced. The 13 SEER units require a larger diameter lineset on the suction size in most applications. Typically they went from 5/8 to 3/4 OD for 2 to 3 ton units and larger fom 3 to 5 tons.

See below for my opinion on this from class.
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf mismatch[1].pdf (19.3 KB, 533 views)
    Stubby74 Posts: 34, Reputation: 4

Apr 5, 2008, 05:47 PM
    I totally agree with the above answer. You may look into a brand which offers a warranty that will be worthy of price. Now as of March of this year, you can get a full 10 year parts warranty on Payne and Carrier units. All you have to do is register. 10 year warranty will be better investment than saving few hundred now going with a lower priced unit. Installation of your system will be the life of it. Make sure they get it inspected, and do the good to best options. Also as of 2010, just over year and a half the only type units sold will be R410-A. You may want to do it now. Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replacing Control Board on Trane Unit [ 17 Answers ]

Hello, Does anybody have any experience replacing the control board (CNT 03798) on a trane unit? I had an HVAC guy check out the unit, and he told me that was the part that needed replacing. I'd like to do it myself to save several $100.00 on the job, but I've never done it before. It...

Inside unit not running [ 1 Answers ]

I noticed my air wasn't blowing inside the house, but the unit was still working on the outside

Outside unit doesn't come on when thermostat turns inside unit on so no heat? [ 1 Answers ]

My thermostat will trip my heater to turn on. The inside blower turns on but the outside unit doesn't turn on. I can get it to go by turnign off the unit at the thermostat and waiting a minute. I turn it on and off until I hear the outside unit turn on. The problem is when the Thermostat turns if...

Replacing bath/shower with shower unit [ 4 Answers ]

Hiya could someone give me a guide to replacing a bath tub with overhead shower to just a shower unit. Please..

Replacing traditional cast iron tub with fiberglass shower unit-HELP [ 1 Answers ]

My wife and I are growing older (Yeah, but I’m probably still older than you!);) and we are considering replacing one of the tubs in our two bath house with a step-in fiberglass shower unit. My wife broke her hip two years ago and she experienced major problems getting in and out of the tubs....

View more questions Search