Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rogart Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2008, 10:24 AM
    Ceramic tile over self adhesive vinyl tile work?
    I have a small bathroom with self-adhesive vinyl tile on the floor. Can I put ceramic tile over this vinyl tile?
    rtw_travel Posts: 347, Reputation: 36

Apr 5, 2008, 02:10 PM
    I'd take them off. It won't take too much time.

A propane torch will work well to heat up the tiles. Use a 2" putty knife or 4" drywall taping blade to scrape them off while you heat them.
    art in mich Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2008, 05:58 PM
    I'd probably remove 'em too, but you could glue and screw 1/4" hardibacker down and tile over it (pretty easy if it's wood subfloor).
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 15, 2008, 06:04 PM
    OK we all agree, that up the old self adhesive tile before it takes itself up. Like Art I am a huge fan of Mr. hardie's products like Hardibacker and Hardiboard. Be sure to use the special green screws they sell for Hardibacker, 1 1/4 ' screws for 1/4" boards and 1 5/8 for 1 1/2 " boards. Mud the seems with the same modified thinset you will use to set your tile and use fiberglass tape, I never do but Mr. Hardie likes it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Removing black adhesive from floor before installing new vinyl tile [ 6 Answers ]

I have a bathroom (at the church I belong to) that has a hard type of vinyl tile in it. A toilet has overflowed 2 times in the past and flooded the floor. As a result, a lot of the tile has come loose. I have the replacement VINYL tile, but need to know how to continue. Under the tile is black...

Placing Ceramic tile over vinyl [ 7 Answers ]

Can you lay ceramic tile over a vinyl floor? If so what's the process?:D

Adhesive? New ceramic tile install - one inch hex shape sheets [ 5 Answers ]

Hello I am putting in a brand new full bath where there had been just a half bath.. I am done the roughing in and the framing, cementboard, sheetrock, etc. - and I have a question about the tile installation. For the floor, I chose an older style of tile that is the white octagon/hexagon...

Secure 2x4 frame to ceramic tile floor with adhesive (no nails) [ 3 Answers ]

I want to frame up a small reach-in closet in my bathroom (2x4's, drywall), but I have an obstacle: My ceramic tile floor covers cement board and a sub-floor with radiant heat/water-filled PEX. The 5 foot length of closet will span one wall, with short sides. The back of this closet will be...

Ceiling tile adhesive [ 2 Answers ]

What type of adhesive should be used when installing 4" tile squares to the ceiling of a small, 32" x 32" shower stall. The substrate is cement board. Thanks for the assist! Jay Lorenco

View more questions Search