Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    valmarkworth Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2006, 08:24 PM
    Buying a House
    So my husband and I put an offer on a house. Since that time we have had the inspection and appraisal. Today we found out that not only was the previous owner letting his son stay there, but that there is actual damage caused by this person. What course of action do I have in this matter? Should or can I back out of the purchase? We are supposed to close in a couple of days and I am heartbroken over the situation. I mean I already ordered blinds (300.00) paid for the appraisal and inspection (750.00), so if this fails I am afraid I am out over a thousand dollars. Any help would be great. Thanks, G
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Feb 9, 2006, 08:31 PM
    Normally the seller is responsible for repairing any damage to the premises that occurs between the time you sign the contract and the date of closing. You will have to check your contract to make sure that this is the case in your situation. If so, then you can either postpone the closing until the seller makes the repairs or get an estimate for the cost of repairs and have that deducted from the sales price at the closing. I would go with the second option because then you can make sure that the repairs are done to your satisfaction.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Feb 9, 2006, 08:52 PM
    Technically you haven't placed an offer on the house, but rather, entered into a contract to buy a house. But, I'm not going to drill you on the semantics.

What Lisa said is dead on. You best option here, move in on Closing, and deduct from the selling price the cost to repair the damage that the home owner's have done. And be prepared for a possible fight on your hands if they try to challenge you. But you should look over your contract first (does it mention about who's responsible for repairs). Logically, they are until the time of close since they still own the property.
    Lotta Posts: 124, Reputation: 8

Feb 10, 2006, 05:30 AM
    You should have a final walk through before you receive the keys. At this time, document the damages and also take photos of the damage. You may want to have the sellers/real estate agent sign the document of the damages while they are there with you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

CH.7 BANKRUPTCY  & Qualifying to Buying a house [ 4 Answers ]

Dear Expert: Hi, can you please tell me how long does CH. 7 bankruptcy lasts? I heard that if a person declare bankruptcy before 2000, then the length of time is 7 years. And after, 2000, it is 10 years. Is that correct? What happened was I declared bankruptcy in June, 1997, but was...

F-1 Visa & Buying a House [ 1 Answers ]

My girlfriend (British citizen) has just received her F1 visa for graduate study starting this August. We are considering buying a house together in the area where she will go to school (I work in the area). She wouldn't be on the mortgage, but would be on the deed (she would essentially be...

Buying a house question. [ 2 Answers ]

What is the name of your state? Oregon I need to some help. There is a house with some property that been vacant for over two years now. When to my local county court house to get information on it. What I found out is that there is back taxes on the house (2003,2004,2005). There was a...

Chapter 7 and buying a house [ 8 Answers ]

I filed chapter 7 in May of 05 and was discharged in July of 05. I have been pre approved for a 171,000.00 house. I am trying to get a FHA loan with no money down and 100% financing. I haven't met with the mortgage folks yet but my question is will my chapter 7 prohibit me from getting this house....

View more questions Search