Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hotmama3 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2006, 06:50 PM
    Babies.
    I just had a baby on Friday and I was wondering if I could give my baby water, and if so what type?
    educatedhorse_2005 Posts: 500, Reputation: 78

Feb 9, 2006, 07:05 PM
    No don't give water to new borns
    weda_7526 Posts: 14, Reputation: 2

Feb 9, 2006, 08:20 PM
    Yes you can give a newborn water. It helps when they are constipated and dehydrated.

Feb 9, 2006, 08:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by weda_7526
    yes you can give a newborn water. It helps when they are constipated and dehydrated.
    Make sure it is purified water. Do not add sugar or honey to the water.:)
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Feb 9, 2006, 08:26 PM
    Actually water is generally bad for newborns. If they are at all jaundiced, it can make them worse, and it also interferes with breastfeeding. They normally don't need any extra water. Please read this article for more info:

http://www.todaysparent.com/baby/foo...nt=1240&page=1
    bizygurl Posts: 522, Reputation: 110

Feb 10, 2006, 06:35 AM
    You need to consult your pediatrician about this. Because no one has a defenite answer about this. Don't give your baby any until you talk to the doctor.
    DJ 'H' Posts: 1,109, Reputation: 114
    Ultra Member

Feb 10, 2006, 06:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bizygurl
    You need to consult your pediatrician about this. Because no one has a defenite answer about this. Don't give your baby any until you talk to the doctor.
    I agree with Bizygurl. All babies are different and it always depends on circumstances and the babies situation. Talk to your doctor to find out if it's a good idea or not.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Feb 10, 2006, 06:50 AM
    Hey lookie a bloke joins in ;)

While our daughter was in special care we were advised to give her either purified water or cooled boiled water.
    You must always remember to wind them afterwards as well.
    As has already been said it is best to ask your own Doctor as opinions are divided on this matter.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Feb 10, 2006, 07:04 AM
    HI,
    Please ask your Doctor, for his/her advise on this. As you can see, there are varying opinions. Your Doctor would be the best to answer this for your baby.
    Congratulations!!
    I do wish you and the baby all the best.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Feb 10, 2006, 07:05 AM
    An anonymous internet message board is no place for this kind of urgent Medical question. Many hospitals have a mother/baby hotline or you should call your family doctor.
    Ultra Member

Feb 10, 2006, 08:46 AM
    Right on! It depends on the baby and what's going on. I should have said this myself. Please go to the doctor, or at least call as NeedKarma suggests.
    nwsflash Posts: 530, Reputation: 73

Feb 10, 2006, 10:20 AM
    Seek medical advice this is your child's health! :) Doctor is always the best port of call always... And welcome to the forum.

Feb 10, 2006, 11:56 AM
    We called baby your baby as well as the babies dr. he said water in moderation is good for the baby. He is breastfed and nurses too much so the water will help as the "experts" have agree.;)
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Feb 10, 2006, 12:01 PM
    We called baby your baby as well as the babies dr. he said water in moderation is good for the baby. He is breastfed and nurses to much so the water will help as the "experts" have agree.;)
    My worry is that I have seen babies choke on water and a new mother could be quite alarmed by this.
    Ultra Member

Feb 10, 2006, 12:26 PM
    We called baby your baby as well as the babies dr. he said water in moderation is good for the baby. He is breastfed and nurses to much so the water will help as the "experts" have agree.;)
    I'm confused... do you know the original poster of this question? I see you are in the same city, and you say you called their baby's doctor? :confused:
    nwsflash Posts: 530, Reputation: 73

Feb 10, 2006, 01:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by orange
    I'm confused... do you know the original poster of this question? I see you are in the same city, and you say you called their baby's doctor?? :confused:
    Orange I'm glad to see I'm not the only one :confused: lol

As long as the mother is seeking medical advice for her questions regards water, that's what matters the child's health... I agree with the other post you have to be very careful with water as this can make the baby choke.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Babies crying [ 23 Answers ]

Well now that we're all back home and *somewhat* back to a normal routine, I'm starting to think again about the baby I will be having. I'm due in mid-June, right around Father's Day actually, haha. Anyway, I've been starting to ask (and receive) a lot of baby advice from family and friends. Most...

Beanie babies [ 2 Answers ]

I have a number of beanie babies and would like to sell them any suggestions?

Question about eye color in babies [ 9 Answers ]

my question is about my babies eye color. she is 7 months old, and still has grey eyes with brown lines around her pupil, sometimes they look hazel, and sometimes they are grey. dh has brown eyes, and i have green. his parents are brown and mine are blue, i was just wondering since they had brown...

Babies eye color [ 6 Answers ]

I just had a baby four months ago. How can a doctor tell what color the babies eyes are when they are first born? My babies eyes looked brown, but now they are a dark grey.

View more questions Search