Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    maha_elabyad Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2008, 02:41 PM
    How harmful is bleach for your hair?
    How harmful is bleach for your hair? Lots of people advise not to do it. I have black hair and am dying to have a light brown with no red orangey color in it!! So now I know it has to be bleached, so is there a way to minimise the damage? I have weak hair.
    Please tell me what can I do?and what products do you use to get a nice light brown color?

Help please I have had many failing attempts but all with just normal dyes.:rolleyes:
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Apr 4, 2008, 05:37 PM
    Hair bleaching may result in some level of damage to the cuticle. Depending on a variety of factors, the potential damage can range from slight to severe. However, a professional hair stylist or colorist can carefully bleach your hair and minimize any hair damage. If your hair is naturally black and you want to go light brown without the red/orange shade, you will need to pre-lighten your hair with bleach and then deposit the desired color. You can also use a higher strength volume peroxide developer and your selected hair color in equal parts to achieve results. Since black/dark hair pulls a lot of red, choose a green-based ash hair color. Ash hair colors can help neutralize or cut down the red tones. You might want to consider getting your hair professionally.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I tone down or remove a semi permanent red hair dye over bleach blonde hair? [ 3 Answers ]

I am at my wits end! I had my hair professionally frosted about two months ago. I like the blonde, with my dark hair roots, but I wanted to add some red low lights with the blonde streaking throughout. However, I did not get the results I wanted. Now I have dark roots, and a multi blonde/red...

Harmful Hair Dying? [ 4 Answers ]

Does dying your hair multiple times create hair loss?

Should I bleach my hair or Do a full heavy all over bleach highlights? [ 2 Answers ]

Info on myself. Blue eyes, fair skin, pink undertones, natural hair color is dark blond. Last month I had my hair dyed a dark blonde. BTW, this was done professionally. The top area came out with dark blonde, gold/ red tones, and does not match my skin tone. I would like to be more in the neutral...

Bleach damaged hair [ 5 Answers ]

Hello there, About a year ago I decided I wanted to be blond. Of course, my natural hair color is dark brown so I had to bleach it. Well, stupid me, I didn't buy enough of the mixture so it ended up all blotchy. My mother-in-law came to help me. She bought some blonde dyes that don't require...

Is it safe to bleach my hair? [ 2 Answers ]

I want to bleach it but I have dyed it three times in the last year, do you think it is safe?:p

View more questions Search