Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    isabelgopo Posts: 58, Reputation: 7

Apr 4, 2008, 02:10 PM
    What is an international driving licence?
    Hi! For those who don't know about me, I moved to the US several months ago from Italy as my husband is stationed here in Virginia. I have my italian driving license but I was told that, to be able to drive here, I need to start all over again and go to driving school. I've met several students from Europe that drive with what is called "international driving license" . Could somebody explain me what is that and how can I get one?

Thanks!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 4, 2008, 03:35 PM
    There is no real international drivers license, there is a card you buy from companties that meet the UN requirement, all a "International Licesne" does is show the info from your Italian license, you have to present your Italian licesne with the International Licesne for it to be valid.

The issue is that you are not a Student I will assume, and you are not working for the Italian government, but you are here on a Visa with a spouse that is a US citizen. You have 30 days after you move to the US and a specific state to get a new license, I see no requirement for you to take a driving school ( although they do help) but you study and take the written test, and then you take the driving test.
    ddollinger Posts: 145, Reputation: 12

Apr 11, 2008, 02:57 PM
    Each state is different. It depends on the laws in the state you are attempting to get your drivers license from. I would assume that you need to start from scratch because the European driving rules are very much different then ours. I have driven in the US, England, Germany, Panama, Guam, and Surinam. I was military so I was exempt under our Status of Forces Agreements with those respective countries. My wife on the other hand had to apply for and test for a drivers license in both England and Panama.

The only Federal Laws apply to persons here on a diplomatic visa. As far as I know, International Driver's Licenses are only valid for persons from Canada and Mexico and are used by truck drivers that have international routes.
    isabelgopo Posts: 58, Reputation: 7

Apr 12, 2008, 01:48 PM
    Thanks for the info, I already got the manual and will be taking the test next week...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Freee truck driving training for felon but very clean driving record? [ 22 Answers ]

I would love to drive semi's local or cross country, but I do not have the job training or the finances for driving school. Can someone please help me ? Thank you Oscar

Driving without a licence [ 2 Answers ]

How much is the court fine for the drivers without driving licsinse

How to know what licence to get [ 1 Answers ]

I recently got a cleaning job in a dental office. Now I am thinking of expanding to an acual business. I do not know where to start. Do I need more than one licence for the state of Washington? Where do I go to get it? What are some important things I should know going into this? Any advice would...

Lost driving licence [ 3 Answers ]

I have been driving for forty years and 6 months ago moved house in the move I lost a full box of clothes my driving licence was in one of my coat pockets I assume, when I Applied for a new licence they told me they have not got all my details of the categories I am aloud to drive and...

Driving licence [ 1 Answers ]

I've no passport or other identification how do I go about applying for driving licence in uk I'm irish and living here two weeks

View more questions Search