Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

May 8, 2008, 02:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sassyT
    However evolution requires that every thing run up. They tell us everything is evolving and getting better and yet that is not consistant with what is observed.
    I don't believe I've ever met someone so confused about the tenets of a subject they say that have researched.
    michealb Posts: 484, Reputation: 129

May 8, 2008, 03:34 PM
    I know the bible says that god gave us free will and we ate from the tree of knowledge and god threw us out of the garden of eden.

No refusal, I'm just using basic logic that is easy to follow. The bible claims god is an all powerful and all knowing perfect being. The problem with perfection is that its matter of opinion. If everyone on earth but you thought I was a perfect being, I wouldn't be a perfect being because I didn't have perfect score of being perfect. The problem with being all knowing is that you know every outcome of your actions. If he is all knowing he could not make man without knowning that he was going to eat from the tree of knowledge. If he knew when he made us that we were going to eat from the tree of knowledge, it wouldn't be our fault. In fact if god was a all knowing being that created everyone. It would mean you weren't in control of your own destiny because god would know what you were going to do before you did it, which means you were predestined to do it. If everything is predetermind, it is not your choice to do anything but you are merely following the design plan laid out for you. Which means it doesn't matter how you live your life because you were going to live it that way anyway and god already knows if your going to heaven or hell. That is of course if you believe in an all knowning, all powerful, perfect being.
    JDW1889 Posts: 66, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2008, 05:58 PM
    I think there is a God. The theory of the Big Bang is confusing cause no matter how you explain it how can nothing form something? Also now the craziest thing scientist are saying now are that we came from stars? Also stuff like evolution, they think they have it down but they can't find the missing link.
    Handyman2007 Posts: 988, Reputation: 73

May 8, 2008, 06:11 PM
    First, I do not believe it is at all necessary to quote scripture OR rely on Jesus Christ to say that there is or is not a God. The concept of God is within us. It is a higher power that we draw upon in our times of need. That is my opinion of God. Plain and simple. No one's God is any better than anyone else's. It is Human spirit and faith in oneself.
    lobrobster Posts: 208, Reputation: 26

May 8, 2008, 08:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JDW1889
    I think there is a God. The theory of the Big Bang is confusing cause no matter how you explain it how can nothing form something?
    Yet, you have no problem believing that God came from nothing? Why do people have such a hard time figuring out that if God can come from nothing, so can whatever else caused the big bang!
    lobrobster Posts: 208, Reputation: 26

May 8, 2008, 08:20 PM
    yes, how convenient, its no wonder scientist changed the age of the earth from 70million to 4.5 billion to facilitate for evolution.
    With this statement you pronounce yourself as hopeless. Please do yourself a favor and get a proper education!

May 8, 2008, 08:34 PM
    I believe it is IMPOSSIBLE to determine the age of this planet.

May 8, 2008, 08:35 PM
    And does it really matter anyway??
    sassyT Posts: 184, Reputation: 7

May 9, 2008, 07:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by lobrobster
    Yet, you have no problem believing that God came from nothing? Why do people have such a hard time figuring out that if God can come from nothing, so can whatever else caused the big bang!?
    the problem with saying that lobro is that it appeals to the supernatural and goes beyond science. You can not believe in naturalism and claim that the universe came from nothing. If the big bang came from nothing then that is not natural science that is something supernatural. So if you are able to believe in a supernatuaral big bang then what makes a supernatural intelligent designer so improbable?

The bottom line is if you want to claim that the univese is here because of a purely naturally scientific process then you have to be consistent. Saying the Big bang is came from nothing is not science, it is a supernatural belief. In science
    nothing X nothing = nothing

Christians can say God has always been there and that is fine because we are not relying on science and we do not make the assumption of naturalism. We believe in the supernatural. You don't, so don't try and use it when it is convenient.
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

May 9, 2008, 07:41 AM
    the problem with saying that lobro is that it appeals to the supernatural and goes beyond science. You can not believe in naturalism and claim that the universe came from nothing. If the big bang came from nothing then that is not natural science that is something supernatural. So if you are able to believe in a supernatuaral big bang then what makes a supernatural intelligent designer so improbable?

The bottom line is if you want to claim that the univese is here because of a purely naturally scientific process then you have to be consistant. Saying the the Big bang is came from nothing is not science, it is a supernatural belief. In science
    nothing X nothing = nothing
    I know you're studying biology, so I'll fill in a few details about Big Bang theory.

In Big Bang, everything didn't come from nothing. Everything was super compressed. You probably know what a black hole is, and in Big Bang theory, everything was pretty much a giant black hole. Something happened. Energy fluctuation, divine intervention, whatever the case may be, and energy was released from the compressed matter, somwhat like a nuclear reaction. This release of energy cause an outward explosion of the compressed matter, forming the universe as we see it today, in expansion.

May 9, 2008, 08:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman2007
    I believe it is IMPOSSIBLE to determine the age of this planet.

I agree with you there. Scientist think they know but they don't. I believe the earth is much younger than they presume. If mankind has been on earth over millions years, as the evolutionists tell us, then why do the records of their activity only go back a few thousand years. I find it hard to believe that it took man millions of years to learn how to write.
    Ancient languages never back beyond c. 4000 B.C. and radiate outward from Mesopotamia. Ancient Historical Records - The oldest dates go back to about 4000 B.C.
    The Oldest People - They do not go back before c. 3000 B.C. and were located in Mesopotamia. Man, whom the evolutionists claim to have come into existence over a million years ago, is said to have "stopped evolving" 100,000 years ago. Why then do we not have at least 100,000 years of civilizations, cities, and human remains?
    The evidence agrees with the Bible account, not with the evolutionists.

May 9, 2008, 08:05 AM
    [QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by retsoksirhc
    I
    In Big Bang, everything didn't come from nothing. Everything was super compressed.
    Where did this "everything" come from?

You probably know what a black hole is, and in Big Bang theory, everything was pretty much a giant black hole. Something happened. Energy fluctuation, divine intervention, whatever the case may be, and energy was released from the compressed matter, somwhat like a nuclear reaction. This release of energy cause an outward explosion of the compressed matter, forming the universe as we see it today, in expansion.
    Where did the gaint black hole come from?

May 9, 2008, 08:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JDW1889
    I think there is a God. The theory of the Big Bang is confusing cause no matter how you explain it how can nothing form something? Also now the craziest thing scientist are saying now are that we came from stars? also stuff like evolution, they think they have it down but they can't find the missing link.
    Lol Yes, The fact that the "theory" of evolution is missing a critical link (the "missing link") should speak volumes as to the credibility of such a wild theory.

May 9, 2008, 08:09 AM

where did this "everything" come from?

where did the gaint black hole come from?
    With all due respect... who cares? I was telling you what the big bang theory was. I wasn't telling you what the big bang theory isn't.

May 9, 2008, 08:49 AM
    [QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by michealb
    I know the bible says that god gave us free will and we ate from the tree of knowledge and god threw us out of the garden of eden.

No refusal, I'm just using basic logic that is easy to follow. The bible claims god is an all powerful and all knowing perfect being. The problem with perfection is that its matter of opinion. If everyone on earth but you thought I was a perfect being, I wouldn't be a perfect being because I didn't have perfect score of being perfect. The problem with being all knowing is that you know every outcome of your actions. If he is all knowing he could not make man without knowning that he was going to eat from the tree of knowledge. If he knew when he made us that we were going to eat from the tree of knowledge, it wouldn't be our fault.
    Michealb, everyone knows that children grow up and can become rebelious especially in their teenage years. Knowing that is not going to stop you from having kids is it? It not going to stop me. I know for a fact that when I have a child at one point or another that child is going to disobey me. So should I then say I am not having kids because I have forknowlege that he/she is going to disobey me? NO. And just because I already know my child is going to disobey me does not mean it is not the child's fault. The child has free will to obey or disobey so she will reap the concequense of his/her choise.

In fact if god was a all knowing being that created everyone. It would mean you weren't in control of your own destiny because god would know what you were going to do before you did it, which means you were predestined to do it. If everything is predetermind, it is not your choice to do anything but you are merely following the design plan laid out for you. Which means it doesn't matter how you live your life because you were going to live it that way anyway and god already knows if your going to heaven or hell. That is of course if you believe in an all knowning, all powerful, perfect being.
    What kind of logic is that? God knows the future of what the free will creatures choose. Free will does not stop becoming free because God knows what will happen. For example, I know that my niece will choose to eat chocolate cake over a bowl full of stinking dead mice. If I were to set them both before my niece, it is safe to say she will not eat the dead mice. Knowing this is not taking away the freedom of my niece since she is freely choosing one over the other. Likewise, for God to know what a person will choose does not mean that the person has no freedom to make the choice. It simply means that God knows what the person will choose.

May 9, 2008, 08:58 AM
    With all due respect...who cares? I was telling you what the big bang theory was. I wasn't telling you what the big bang theory isn't.
    I know what the big bang theory is and what it isn't, I didn't need you to tell me.
    who cares? I couldn't care less because I don't believe it. But was interested to know why the people who believe in it do despite its improbability.

May 9, 2008, 09:01 AM
    I know what the big bang theory is and what it isnt, i didnt need you to tell me.
    who cares? i couldnt care less because i dont believe it. But was interested to know why the people who believe in it do despite its improbability.
    Well, you fooled me into thinking you didn't know about big bang, by saying that everything came from nothing. That's not in any way shape or form part of the big bang theory, it just explains the expansion of the universe. If you don't care, that's fine. If you want to ask a question of your own, stop hijacking this thread. The original intent is to ask why people do or do not believe in god, personally.

May 9, 2008, 09:19 AM
    [QUOTE]
    Well, you fooled me into thinking you didn't know about big bang, by saying that everything came from nothing.
    Well neither you not anyone else has told me where the black hole came from so I presume from nothing.

That's not in any way shape or form part of the big bang theory, it just explains the expansion of the universe. If you don't care, that's fine. If you want to ask a question of your own, stop hijacking this thread. The original intent is to ask why people do or do not believe in god, personally.
    I told people why I believed in God and said why I don't believe in the alternative (evolution) and everyone started attacking me for not believing in evolution. So I was just responding to the attacks by revealing the flaws of their theory.
    dolly100 Posts: 68, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2008, 10:01 AM
    To me .I believe in God and believe in evolution too
    God right
    Evolution fact too
    Not everything who says by ( human /scientists) about evolution is correct

But the evolution can says about it is true
    We can feel there is an evolution
    Noteverything who says by human about God is true too
    But God who says by himself is a right
    So both of them are true
    michealb Posts: 484, Reputation: 129

May 9, 2008, 10:22 AM
    [QUOTE=sassyT]

What kind of logic is that? God knows the future of what the free will creatures choose. Free will does not stop becoming free because God knows what will happen. For example, I know that my niece will choose to eat chocolate cake over a bowl full of stinking dead mice. If I were to set them both before my niece, it is safe to say she will not eat the dead mice. Knowing this is not taking away the freedom of my niece since she is freely choosing one over the other. Likewise, for God to know what a person will choose does not mean that the person has no freedom to make the choice. It simply means that God knows what the person will choose.
    There is a difference between you thinking you know and an all knowing being knowing for sure. Your niece is able to exercise free will because there is the uncertainty that she will choose something else even if the second choice is highly unlikely it's still a possible choice. If the outcome is known for certain there is no element of choice because the outcome was always known. An all knowing being would know before you did that you were going to make that choice, so if he knew before you did that you were going to make a choice and he set up the circumstances of you making that choice, then you really had no choice to begin with.

Your example with the kids is also different because you don't have control over every aspect of their creation. If you were all powerful and all knowing you could make kids that didn't disobey you or at the very least you would know to keep them away from your tasty apples.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What, who, where is GOD? [ 14 Answers ]

After seeing a movie my 4 year old is asking about GOD. How do you explain GOD to a 4 year old in terms he can understand?

What is god? [ 138 Answers ]

What is god? There is always this clash between science & god.Can God be a huge amount of energy?

So I think god was [ 56 Answers ]

A middle eastern man. I mean.. You hear things like "Ayo yuhn man! God was a black!" "I oughttta know better. I been more edumacated, God is a white man!" Now I'm saying he is middle eastern.

View more questions Search