Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Greg Quinn Posts: 486, Reputation: 85

May 14, 2008, 10:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by plonak
    Hey so I totally don't have to time to go through and read all these posts... but I would like to put my two cents in here..

I KNOW there is a God without a doubt, I feel Him in everything that's good in this world.. Jesus Christ is in my heart and I feel his tremendous love for me and for you... He loves us so much he died for us.. he's knows us better than anyone in the world knows us, and he adores us no matter what we do.
    -------------------
    Published Wednesday | January 9, 2008
    Boy dies alone days after his mother
    BY JASON KUIPER
    WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER

A toddler may have wandered around an Omaha apartment for days after his mother's death, foraging for food. But the 21-month-old didn't survive long enough for help to arrive.

Police found the bodies of Janelle Browning and Ezekiel Berry on Monday at the Drake Court Apartments near 21st and Leavenworth Streets.

Police were working to determine how the 43-year-old woman and her son died, although foul play was not suspected.

Capt. Mary Newman said police were called Monday after a friend of Browning alerted apartment managers that Browning hadn't been seen for several weeks. When apartment officials checked the apartment, they found her dead inside.

A Tuesday autopsy found no outward signs of trauma, Newman said. Police were hoping that once toxicology results come back, they will have answers about how the two died.

Newman said police could not say who died first, but people with knowledge of the investigation said the mother was believed to have been dead for several days before the child died.
    Thanks GOD
    sassyT Posts: 184, Reputation: 7

May 14, 2008, 11:02 AM
    [QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Quinn
    -------------------------------
    God relies on faith, without faith it would be impossible to believe in a god. Faith is believing in something as fact when there is no logical evidence or reason to do so.
    Yeah, the kind of faith athiests have in evolution and how all trees, plants, fish, fruit flies, elephants, humans, flees, bats, wales etc, we all came from our great ancenstor who was one cell creature that crawled out of the mythical pond. The pond also know as soup came from a big explosion called the big bang. This big band magically created everything we see today. Mmm..? Now that takes FAITH to believe. It takes more faith to believe in that than to believe a supernatural intelligent being created everything. So you have a greater capacity for faith than I do.
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

May 14, 2008, 11:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sassyT
    jillianleab Please review the dictionary definition of athiesm

a·the·ism (ā'thē-ĭz'əm)
    n.
    Disbelief in or denial of the existence of God or gods.
    The doctrine that there is no God or gods.
    And so because some website on the intertubes says there is a doctrine, it makes it so? Come on... you aren't that ignorant, are you?

But whatever. Look up the definition of "doctrine".

Doc·trine
    –noun 1. a particular principle, position, or policy taught or advocated, as of a religion or government: Catholic doctrines; the Monroe Doctrine.
    2. something that is taught; teachings collectively: religious doctrine.
    3. a body or system of teachings relating to a particular subject: the doctrine of the Catholic Church.

I see a lot of mention of religion in that definition... Clearly you were referring to there being a religious doctrine to atheism, which clearly, I was saying there isn't. There's no official "atheist guidebook" that we all read and abide by.

Is this going to turn into a thread about theists telling atheists what they do and do not believe?
    plonak Posts: 742, Reputation: 117

May 14, 2008, 11:08 AM
    God allows us free will to live our lives.. he can't just intervien every second of the day, if he did that then what free will would we have? If he saved us from EVERY little mistake or mishap, how are we having free will, things happen for reasons.. it was their time to go and heck they are in such a better place now.. he allows life to move on and go on.. sin comes in a destroys all that is good

May 14, 2008, 11:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sassyT
    jillianleab Please review the dictionary definition of athiesm

a·the·ism (ā'thē-ĭz'əm)
    n.
    Disbelief in or denial of the existence of God or gods.
    The doctrine that there is no God or gods.
    -------------------------------------
    Lets do some more...
    Faith The American Heritage dictionary
    Belief that does not rest on logical proof or material evidence. See Synonyms at belief, trust.
    -------
    scammed, scam·ming.
    –noun
    1. a confidence game or other fraudulent scheme, esp. for making a quick profit; swindle.

-------
    Online Etymology Dictionary - Cite This Source - Share This
    atheist
    1571, from Fr. Athéiste (16c.), from Gk. Atheos "to deny the gods, godless," from a- "without" + theos "a god" (see Thea). A slightly earlier form is represented by atheonism (c.1534) which is perhaps from It. Atheo "atheist."

"The existence of a world without God seems to me less absurd than the presence of a God, existing in all his perfection, creating an imperfect man in order to make him run the risk of Hell." [Armand Salacrou, "Certitudes et incertitudes," 1943]

The fact is, it would be a sad day for me if Atheism became recognized as a religion because it simply is not one. That would become corrupt just like all other religions. John Lennon said "Imagine no religion", I like that thought.
    sassyT Posts: 184, Reputation: 7

May 14, 2008, 11:19 AM
    [QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by jillianleab
    And so because some website on the intertubes says there is a doctrine, it makes it so? Come on... you aren't that ignorant, are you?
    No, Jill it is called a dictionary. It is a tool used to define words, objective meanings for words.

But whatever. Look up the definition of "doctrine".

Doc·trine
    –noun 1. a particular principle, position, or policy taught or advocated, as of a religion or government: Catholic doctrines; the Monroe Doctrine.
    2. something that is taught; teachings collectively: religious doctrine.
    3. a body or system of teachings relating to a particular subject: the doctrine of the Catholic Church.
    Looks like you used a dictionary here.. so does that make you ignorant too?

I see a lot of mention of religion in that definition... Clearly you were referring to there being a religious doctrine to atheism, which clearly, I was saying there isn't. There's no official "atheist guidebook" that we all read and abide by.

Is this going to turn into a thread about theists telling atheists what they do and do not believe?
    Hey, I was just quoting the dictionary word for word. Don't get mad at me. If one claims there is no God that is a doctrine because the statement is based on faith not fact.

May 14, 2008, 11:32 AM
    God allows us free will to live our lives.. he can't just intervien every second of the day, if he did that then what free will would we have? If he saved us from EVERY little mistake or mishap, how are we having free will, things happen for reasons.. it was their time to go and heck they are in such a better place now.. he allows life to move on and go on.. sin comes in a destroys all that is good
    ----------
    Wow, He never let the little boy live his life. So what does he do for people? Oh... He gives hope? He's there for you when your troubled? I have a leprechaun on my shoulder and he does the same for me as god does for you... And he has never asked for money!
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

May 14, 2008, 11:58 AM
    heaven is a far better place to be then this stinking horrible world.
    Well that pretty tells us why you need to believe. I personally am having a blast in this world.
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

May 14, 2008, 12:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    You do that all the time, why?
    Ummm... NK... I'm the one who said that! :)
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

May 15, 2008, 03:30 AM
    As this has degenerated into an argument:
    Thread Closed

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What, who, where is GOD? [ 14 Answers ]

After seeing a movie my 4 year old is asking about GOD. How do you explain GOD to a 4 year old in terms he can understand?

What is god? [ 138 Answers ]

What is god? There is always this clash between science & god.Can God be a huge amount of energy?

So I think god was [ 56 Answers ]

A middle eastern man. I mean.. You hear things like "Ayo yuhn man! God was a black!" "I oughttta know better. I been more edumacated, God is a white man!" Now I'm saying he is middle eastern.

View more questions Search