Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Greg Quinn Posts: 486, Reputation: 85

May 14, 2008, 09:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sassyT
    Sorry to burst your bubble Workerbee but athiests only account for about 5% at best of the world's population. That mean atleast 90% of the world population are rational enough to acknowledge that there is one diety or another.
    Im afraid athiesm is not the fastest growing faith as you presume. Christianity is the fastest growing faith by converts and Islam is the fastest growing religion by births. So dont get too happy..
    --------------------
    I don't think a bubble was burst here. He never said that it was the fastest growing, but thank you so much for showing us our piece of the pie. Just think, one day we will have even more of the pie. Yes, we are at a disadvantage in regards to us not grabbing our children out of the cradle and bringing them to our group meetings and what not. But, somehow are numbers are growing none the less.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

May 14, 2008, 09:48 AM
    I'm certainly not part of anything because it's popular. I do my own thinking.
    sassyT Posts: 184, Reputation: 7

May 14, 2008, 09:52 AM
    [QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Quinn
    --------------------
    I don't think a bubble was burst here. He never said that it was the fastest growing, but thank you so much for showing us our piece of the pie. Just think, one day we will have even more of the pie.
    Lol.. one day in a million years. Your rate of growth is not enough to make a significant difference. Christianity it the largest religion in the world and the fastest growing so those figures on the chart are actually understated.

Yes, we are at a disadvantage in regards to us not grabbing our children out of the cradle and bringing them to our group meetings and what not. But, somehow are numbers are growing none the less.
    Hey, if you are happy with 3 people a decade converting to the athiestic faith, then good for you. We have at least 38 people a week give their lives to Christ in our church alone.
    lobrobster Posts: 208, Reputation: 26

May 14, 2008, 09:57 AM
    What kind of reasoning is that? ...lol why should God prevent your death? If its your time to go it is your time to go. God does in some cases prevent people from dying like he did my brother.
    The question has nothing to do with death. Suppose God knows He will have lunch at McDonald's on Thursday. Does this mean He is powerless to change His mind and have lunch somewhere else?

The properties of omniscience and omnipotence cannot simultaneously exist, just as surely as a square circle cannot exist.
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

May 14, 2008, 09:57 AM
    [QUOTE=sassyT]

Hey, if you are happy with 3 people a decade converting to the athiestic faith, then good for you.
    We're not recruiting. Also we don't brainwash children.

May 14, 2008, 10:03 AM
    [QUOTE=sassyT]

I am starting to wonder whether you even have a fifth grade education with an ignorant statement like this... lol

I don't know where you get your stats from but people who attend christian schools are better of than those who don't. Catholic schools are known to be some of the best schools world wide.
    How many colleges and universities were founded by Christians to encourage higher education? Harvard? Yale? Yes and yes. So please don't continue to embarasse yourself with such ignorants.;)
    There was a brief time when I thought your propensity to deny the obvious was cute and even charming. But it gets old quick Sassy.

It is a FACT that post-graduates are significantly less likely to believe in things like the supernatural and that includes gods. Look up a Harris poll if you don't believe us (although I'm sure you'll find a way to deny that as well).

Now I'm not willing to suggest this means believers are all dumb. I readily admit there are some very intelligent Christians and believers of other faiths. It could be more a measure of affluence, since those with advanced education tend to come from more affluent families than those who do not. Regardless, the further advanced one's education is, the LESS likely he/she is to be religious. And that's just a FACT (just like evolution is a fact), no matter how strongly you continue to deny it.

May 14, 2008, 10:10 AM
    [QUOTE=templelane]

We're not recruiting. Also we don't brainwash children.
    Atheist do brain wash their children. I teach middle school kids at my church and it is amazing how many kids with athiests parents tell me their parents would rather see them go partying with drugs and alcohol than going to church.
    One kid told me that her atheist mum told her that the reason why mom and dad are getting a divorce is because she is always talking about Jesus. Pathetic :eek:
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

May 14, 2008, 10:23 AM

Athiest do brain wash their children. I teach middle school kids at my church and it is amazing how many kids with athiests parents tell me thier parents would rather see them go partying with drugs and alchohol than going to church.
    One kid told me that her athiest mum told her that the reason why mom and dad are getting a divorce is because she is always talking about Jesus. Pathetic
    This post makes you officially lose all credibility.

May 14, 2008, 10:26 AM
    [QUOTE=lobrobster]

There was a brief time when I thought your propensity to deny the obvious was cute and even charming. But it gets old quick Sassy.

It is a FACT that post-graduates are significantly less likely to believe in things like the supernatural and that includes gods. Look up a Harris poll if you don't believe us (although I'm sure you'll find a way to deny that as well).

Now I'm not willing to suggest this means believers are all dumb. I readily admit there are some very intelligent Christians and believers of other faiths. It could be more a measure of affluence, since those with advanced education tend to come from more affluent families than those who do not. Regardless, the further advanced one's education is, the LESS likely he/she is to be religious. And that's just a FACT (just like evolution is a fact), no matter how strongly you continue to deny it.
    What do you expect when education has become the pulpit of athiestic humanism.

May 14, 2008, 10:28 AM
    [QUOTE=sassyT]
    Quote Originally Posted by templelane
    I teach middle school kids at my church and it is amazing how many kids with athiests parents tell me thier parents would rather see them go partying with drugs and alchohol than going to church.
    This kind of unsubstantiated hearsay shouldn't be allowed on the forum. It's a pathetic attempt to slander a minority group. Not to mention that it's also a transparently boldfaced LIE! Parents telling their kids they prefer them to use drugs and alcohol. PLEASE!
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

May 14, 2008, 10:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl
    Give us a hint -- say, two or three words.
    Sorry it's taken me a bit to get back to you! My morals come from society. From a good upbringing. From (what I think is) an inherant right vs wrong. I don't need a book to tell me not to kill my neighbor; I can figure out on my own that killing my neighbor is bad for society. I also get my morals from myself and how I will feel looking at myself in the mirror the next day. More than three words - sorry! :o

Quote Originally Posted by lesleeandjoel
    Your answer also assumes we "Just are" and arent "meant to be". Let me ask another question. The stuff you cannot see, but feel, where does that come from?? As intricate as this world is your are going to tell me it was just happened by chance??
    My Hope is not limited to "I hope I will go to Heaven". What about the things that you have no control over, like getting cancer or a car accident. Also how do atheists explain miracles and please don't deny there are any, they happen every day. I'm sure most people have experienced one or another in their lifetime.
    One more thing just to clarify "doing good" just to get in with a Higher being, I know him as God, Isn't what I believe. Once again, to sum God up in one word it would be ...love. I want to Love him and i want to Love other people. God isn't up there with a tali of how many good deeds you do in his name, actually he despises it.
    I just cannot accept that this is all this life is..I know better.. having experienced it myself. Having said that you will now probably call me crazy, but it's to be expected. Since you don't believe in supernatural happenings.
    Yes, my answer assumes we "just are"; you asked what an atheist thinks their purpose in life it - I told you. I wasn't knocking you for thinking we are "meant to be", I was just pointing out the flaw in your question, the assumption that an atheist thinks there is a purpose to this life. I used the hope you go to heaven as an example, certainly you don't think I'm such an a-hole that I think all you do is sit around all day and think, "Golly! I hope I get into heaven!"?

As far as miracles, sorry, but I don't believe in them. Things happen. Sometimes things happen in ways we don't expect. It's called probability, there are equations you can use to figure it out. To me, an unlikely occurrence doesn't indicate "god did it". And what about cancer and car accidents? Again, things happen. For some people, that's how life plays out. My dad received a tainted blood transfusion in the 70's and contracted Hepatitis C - he died a few years ago at 55. Was that "god"? Or was that the result of a bad transfusion, something that just happened. I go with the latter.

If you can't accept that this life is all there is, that's fine. I can respect and accept that, as long as you accept and respect that I can't accept that there is a god. And no, I won't call you crazy, that would be rude. I know you believe, really, really believe that "god" has saved you or helped you, or whatever. I believe you managed to do those things on your own, you just aren't giving yourself credit for it. We don't have to agree to get along.

templane, I think you are thinking of the Stephen Roberts quote;

“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”

Quote Originally Posted by SassyT
    What kind of reasoning is that? ...lol why should God prevent your death? If its your time to go it is your time to go. God does in some cases prevent people from dying like he did my brother.
    Wait... what? Did you read what you just wrote? Why should god prevent your death if it's your time to go... and then... but in some cases... Huh? What kind of reasoning is that??

And why do you make theism/atheism out to sound like a contest? "one day in a million years!" and "We have at least 38 people a week converting"... it's not a flippin contest, biggest numbers don't "win". Why can't you just live and let live?

PS: There is no "atheistic doctrine", it's not a religion.

May 14, 2008, 10:30 AM
    [QUOTE=sassyT]
    Quote Originally Posted by lobrobster

What do you expect when education has become the pulpit of athiestic humanism.
    ------------------------
    Yes, things are finally starting to turn around. You make it sound like a bad thing? :D

May 14, 2008, 10:32 AM
    The question has nothing to do with death. Suppose God knows He will have lunch at McDonald's on Thursday. Does this mean He is powerless to change His mind and have lunch somewhere else?

The properties of omniscience and omnipotence cannot simultaneously exist, just as surely as a square circle cannot exist.

Sorry but God does not rely on your human logic for His existence.
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

May 14, 2008, 10:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    This post makes you officially lose all credibility.
    Agreed. I think I've found the next candidate for a coveted spot on my "ignore" list!

May 14, 2008, 10:36 AM
    [QUOTE=Greg Quinn]
    ------------------------
    Yes, things are finally starting to turn around. You make it sound like a bad thing? :D
    No it is not a bad thing, I suppose athiests also need their own way of evangelism. The evolution classroom is the Church and the professor the preacher.

May 14, 2008, 10:43 AM
    [

This kind of unsubstantiated hearsay shouldn't be allowed on the forum. It's a pathetic attempt to slander a minority group. Not to mention that it's also a transparently boldfaced LIE! Parents telling their kids they prefer them to use drugs and alcohol. PLEASE!
    I am just relaying what some of the middle school kids at my church have said about the challenge of being a believer with parents who are atheist. I did not say all athiests parents do this but I was responding to temple's statement that athiests do not brain wash their kids. I suppose she was trying to imply that Christians brain wash their kids. Well athiests do also teach their kids to dismiss God. I know, because I deal with kids who go through this everyday.

May 14, 2008, 10:44 AM
    Sorry but God does not rely on your human logic for his existance.
    -------------------------------
    God relies on faith, without faith it would be impossible to believe in a god. Faith is believing in something as fact when there is no logical evidence or reason to do so.
    When ever I see these debates, I see simple samples of defence in regards to gods existence, arguments that could be used to defend the leprechaun on my shoulder. If I used my wit and defended his existence you would argue it to the fullest and consider me to be a loon.
    plonak Posts: 742, Reputation: 117

May 14, 2008, 10:46 AM
    Hey so I totally don't have to time to go through and read all these posts... but I would like to put my two cents in here..

I KNOW there is a God without a doubt, I feel Him in everything that's good in this world.. Jesus Christ is in my heart and I feel his tremendous love for me and for you... He loves us so much he died for us.. he's knows us better than anyone in the world knows us, and he adores us no matter what we do.

May 14, 2008, 10:50 AM
    [QUOTE=sassyT]

Lol.. one day in a million years. Your rate of growth is not enough to make a significant difference. Christianity it the largest religion in the world and the fastest growing so those figures on the chart are actually understated.
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    Sorry it took so long to get back... I had to take a nap, I was exhausted from eating so much PIE!! LOL :D

May 14, 2008, 10:50 AM
    PS: There is no "atheistic doctrine", it's not a religion
    jillianleab Please review the dictionary definition of atheism

a·the·ism (ā'thē-ĭz'əm)
    n.
    Disbelief in or denial of the existence of God or gods.
    The doctrine that there is no God or gods.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What, who, where is GOD? [ 14 Answers ]

After seeing a movie my 4 year old is asking about GOD. How do you explain GOD to a 4 year old in terms he can understand?

What is god? [ 138 Answers ]

What is god? There is always this clash between science & god.Can God be a huge amount of energy?

So I think god was [ 56 Answers ]

A middle eastern man. I mean.. You hear things like "Ayo yuhn man! God was a black!" "I oughttta know better. I been more edumacated, God is a white man!" Now I'm saying he is middle eastern.

View more questions Search