Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gemini32 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2008, 11:57 AM
    Trying to find bio parents
    Hello my name is rebecca I am 32 yrs old I am despartely trying to find my birth parents there are also siblings out there I am trying to find someone in my family please someone let me no what I can do??
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Apr 4, 2008, 04:21 PM
    Start by talking to your adoptive parents, and get as much info from them as you can.

Then, put a note in your file with your original birth certificate (usually in the county where you were born) stating that it's okay for bio parents to contact you, if they go searching.

Then do the same thing at the adoption agency your parents went through.

And start registering on search boards on the internet. Adoption.com has one, and I know there are several others.

Good luck!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 4, 2008, 05:27 PM
    Synnen had some good points, when you were adopted your adopted parents should have gotten a adoption court order ( at least in states I know they did) This often has some info on it.

Also it is not uncommom for them to have known the names of the people who gave you up. I am not saying yours did but that is the first place to start.

Also you need to talk to them about your searching, since often this can cause hurt and emotional harm to them if they feel you don't care for them or trying to replace them after all they did.

There are dozens and dozens of adoption boards ( I wish there was only a couple,) if there was only a couple then more people would all use the same board and finding each other may be better.

Also if you find them, always use a go/between, someone to go ask them if they want to be connected, it is not uncommom for the bio parent not to want to be contacted.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Apr 6, 2008, 07:45 AM
    One thought here, was this a "closed adoption"? If so, your chances will probably be near to none on the contacting unless due to a life or death medical emergency.

Apr 8, 2008, 10:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Synnen
    Start by talking to your adoptive parents, and get as much info from them as you can.

Then, put a note in your file with your original birth certificate (usually in the county where you were born) stating that it's okay for bio parents to contact you, if they go searching.

Then do the same thing at the adoption agency your parents went through.

And start registering on search boards on the internet. Adoption.com has one, and I know there are several others.

Good luck!
    Thank you this is a cool website I do have limited info on my birth mother and my siblings however I went to vital statistics here in fla. And the name on the birth cert was my adoptive parents?? why is that?? please kit I find this to be the closest I have ever gottem w/this htank you very much!!

Apr 8, 2008, 11:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MOWERMAN2468
    one thought here, was this a "closed adoption"? If so, your chances will probably be near to none on the contacting unless due to a life or death medical emergency.
    I am not sure but I hope not because I really need some closure on my life ,my health ,etc.how would I find that out?? I do know the hospital where I was born what would I need to do with that info?? could I go there?? and maybe get my birth info there?? thank you for your time and consideration:confused: :confused:
    FeelSoNumbZombie Posts: 129, Reputation: 10

Apr 8, 2008, 11:21 AM
    Hi,
    I believe the state of Florida is a closed record state. Which means, unless the State of Florida allows you access to your Vital Record and original birth certificate, they will forever be closed to you. Unlike all other Adult American's, Adoptee's in Closed record State's are not allowed their Vital Record in original form.
    Your original information is sealed.
    Was an adoption agency used?
    You are an adult now. You do not have to ask your parents for their permission to access your biological identity. It would make it far easier for you and your search process if your parents have open communication with you, related to your adoption. They may have information for you and your search process that is vital to your find, for example.
    Yet, if you feel uncomfortable asking them, ie: chance hurting their feeling's, anger them,
    Or if they are deceased, etc...
    Please join a search and support group in Florida. If you were born in Florida, that is?
    There are groups such as Soaring Angels at Yahoo! Groups - Join or create groups, clubs, forums & communities[/url], which are the greatest angels I have ever been blessed to be affiliated with.
    There is adoption.com. Please post your information and join their registry.
    There is Angel Blessing Search and Support, they are on Yahoogroups as well.
    There are other Search and Support groups at googlegroups.com you can try to find one to best suit the state you were born of.
    The more you know, the more you will learn about yourself.
    It is your search. It is your journey. And whatever the outcome, you will own all of it.
    Also check out some of my other posts at this site to others. Maybe it will help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to find out if bio-father gave up parental rights? [ 3 Answers ]

Just found out this weekend the name of my bio-father. Bit & pieces of the story have been shared over the years. Mom & Dad will not discuss this topic w/me. I am 50 yrs. Old. Need medical history.

Find my parents [ 1 Answers ]

I'm 15 and I just found out I was adopted this summer at the doctors office, my parents didn't even tell me, my brother was adopted to, I want to know who my real parents are, I don't care if they are drug attics or not I just want to know more about who I really am, and I don't know how to find...

Desperately Seeking To Find My Bio- Mother [ 11 Answers ]

Hi. Well I guess I should start by saying who I am, what I'm here for, and what I need help with. It's simple. My Name is Heather Hughes, I'm currently 17 years old, and I am DESPERATELY seeking to find the woman who gave me life. Her name is Susan Perero, Her alias Include Gremillion. ...

Trying to find out about my bio parents [ 12 Answers ]

I am trying to find out about my bio parents. I was adopted at birth in Hayward California on Nov 5,1968. I have no information about my birth parents. I now have 3 boys of my own and I really want to be able to give them a heritage. Can anyone help me?

View more questions Search