Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    powrus Posts: 29, Reputation: 3

Apr 4, 2008, 10:45 AM
    Windows XP to Vista
    It's been awhile since I have posted here, and no doubt my question has been asked and RE-asked many times. I apologize for rehashing old subjects, but my initial search provided no recent answers to my question.

I'm currently running my home computer with Windows XP, Svc Pack 2, and my system is an AMD AthlonXP 2400, 2.0 GHz, 1K MB RAM. Also installed is MS Office Standard 2002.

I have no problems with XP, but frequent notices indicate Windows XP will be non-supported as of June, 2008. I installed the MS Upgrade Options Tool which indicated my current system would handle an upgrade to Vista operating system.

Question (1): Does the prevailing philosophy advise a download/upgrade to Vista with a system such as mine... or would a new system already Vista equipped with a larger HD and more RAM be a more sensible approach? My current machine is 4 yrs old.

Question (2): What's up with Vista XPS and/or Vista DOCX? When reading about the upgrade, the choice was given between these two options.

Apr 4, 2008, 12:12 PM
    Oooops! Quick reply to myself. I mis-read the MS alert which popped up on my screen a couple of times this week regarding Windows XP. Further info states:

"Overall, big-name computer makers are still scheduled to have to stop selling Windows XP for all other uses by the end of June. Mainstream technical support will continue to be available for Windows XP through April 2009, and more limited support will continue through April 2014."
    IT Helpp Posts: 35, Reputation: 4

Apr 8, 2008, 11:59 AM
    Answer to Question 1: I never recommend upgrade an existing system. Not worth thte time and effort. Always buy new. Remember, you can keep the same Monitor, printer, etc.
    biggsie Posts: 1,267, Reputation: 125
    Ultra Member

Apr 8, 2008, 12:47 PM
    Most computer users want to go from VISTA back to XP -- this is a big mistake

Vista will take a few patches to get the bugs out -- Not all programs play well with VISTA

If you want VISTA buy a brand new computer -- Upgrades are a BIG NO-NO

Comparing Apples to Oranges -- XP to Vista
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 8, 2008, 12:50 PM
    I wish people would stop listening to the negatives and trashing Vista. The VAST majority of Vista installation work fine. Sure there are some problems and upgrading an older PC carries greater risk, so buying new is preferable. But Vist runs very nicely for me.

Apr 8, 2008, 01:13 PM
    I do appreciate the replies. Thank you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Email sending prob. In windows vista using windows mail [ 1 Answers ]

I am having problem in sending emails in windows mail in vista. Up to yesterday, it was working fine. I have deleted and created the account again. Email address,pwd, pop n smtp etc everything is correct but email are not going. There is genuine windows vista with Mecafee. No problem with incoming...

Can a windows xp virus effect windows vista? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi. My pendrive was infected by a virus called "jambanmu" which is either a malaysian or Indonesian virus. If I put my pendrive into a windows xp computer the virus will stop the computer from using few stuff. As for my pendrive the virus doesn't allow me to reformat it. If I use a windows vista...

Windows Vista [ 4 Answers ]

:confused: In what way I got free Windows Vista Home premium package?

View more questions Search